Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't boot neither normally or in recovery mode

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
GarethH

Can't boot neither normally or in recovery mode

#1 Post by GarethH »

I tried both Debian unstable and a unoffical version with proprietary software, both had the same problems. Debian wouldn't pickup the TL-WN722N on installation, so I thought I'll try to get the WiFi working afterwards. Apart from that, installation seems to go along smoothly, but trying to boot into the new installation fails after unencrypting the hard drive with the error:

Code: Select all

sp5100_tco: I/O address 0x0cd6 already in use
In recovery mode it just hangs shortly after unencrypting, during which it appears to be loading Linux modules. Got the exact same unofficial version working completely fine on my much older computer, though.

bw123

Re: Can't boot neither normally or in recovery mode

#2 Post by bw123 »

There could be several reasons for the hang, if you post more info about your hardware it will help eliminate some of them.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10653
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarethH

#3 Post by GarethH »

bw123 wrote:There could be several reasons for the hang, if you post more info about your hardware it will help eliminate some of them.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10653
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8GHz
RAM: DDR4 16GB @ 2667MHz
GPU: AMD RX 480 8GB
Hard Drive: NVMe Intel Solid State Drive 600p Series 512GB

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Did you try any suggestions after websearch for 'debian AMD Ryzen 7' ? I saw a couple posts about c-state setting and/or updating the bios.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarethH

#5 Post by GarethH »

bw123 wrote:Did you try any suggestions after websearch for 'debian AMD Ryzen 7' ? I saw a couple posts about c-state setting and/or updating the bios.
I upgraded to the newest BIOS - which is 7A32v19 as of current - then tried messing around with c-state and nothing changed.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

GarethH wrote: In recovery mode it just hangs shortly after unencrypting, during which it appears to be loading Linux modules.
Single user mode should work. I don't use encryption, it could be an issue there, or maybe it's video related. I think the installer still uses vga=789, what if you add that to the boot line for recovery mode, where it says 'single' that's real disappointing, sounds like a heck of a setup.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarethH

#7 Post by GarethH »

bw123 wrote:Single user mode should work. I don't use encryption, it could be an issue there, or maybe it's video related. I think the installer still uses vga=789, what if you add that to the boot line for recovery mode, where it says 'single' that's real disappointing, sounds like a heck of a setup.
It hangs before I can even get into the recovery menu. Tried adding 'vga=789' to 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.9.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' before 'load_video' and nothing changed.

Also, found this. It dates back to beginning of this year with the same error. A few things have caught my eye:
> On the AMD Turion N40L and other related SoCs, the i2c-piix4 driver
> now claims the 0xcd6 ioport, preventing the sp5100_tco watchdog
> driver from loading
:
and
> Perhaps a fix is to switch both drivers from static to dynamic
> allocation of the IO ports in question, since the watchdog driver
> only accesses the port during initialisation (with backoff/retry
> maybe to avoid races?).
Here is the search I did: link

dagecko

#8 Post by dagecko »

What I did with my Asus Rog Strix GL702ZC (AMD Ryzen and RX based) was to install all firmwares. Without that, the computer was freezing during boot.
Also, for some reasons, Debian 9 refused to start. So I had to install Debian 10.