Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Installation under UEFI

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pherath

Debian Installation under UEFI

#1 Post by pherath »

I recently bought a new laptop and I want to install Debian in it. I downloaded debian-9.2.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso from https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/ and made a bootable image in my pendrive using Universal Installer software. When I tried booting the laptop with the flash drive plugged in, the boot menu does not show me the flash drive under UEFI boot devices. My laptop came with Windows pre-installed under UEFI. When I try my flash drive in a laptop that does not have UEFI, it boots well.

Is there anything I should do to make Debian installer boot under UEFI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian Installation under UEFI

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pherath wrote:made a bootable image in my pendrive using Universal Installer software
^ This is where you went wrong.

Install the Linux Subsystem for Windows and follow the instructions given by Debian:

https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

If you don't have Win10 then use USBWriter to burn the image, that should work.
deadbang

pherath

#3 Post by pherath »

Thank you for your reply!

I do not want to install Debian as a subsystem in Windows. I want to install it in parallel as a separate OS. I followed your second link and created my boot flash drive. Now the when I boot it, the system recognizes the flash drive as a bootable EFI device. However, when I selected the drive, the laptop takes me to a Dell recovery tool saying my boot device is corrupt! But a laptop with legacy boot is perfectly bootable with the flash drive. Also, I noted that Windows recognizes only a small partition of the flash drive when plugged in. Please help.

hrsetrdr

#4 Post by hrsetrdr »

In this article: How to Install Linux on your Dell PC, the following might be relevent:
Note: Please be aware that USB 2.0 and older removable media devices are not supported on systems using the new Intel SkyLake Processors. The Chipsets for the CPUs no longer support the USB 2.0 Hub.
On myDell Inspiron 15 7000 I had trouble booting a USB drive until I set the BIOS boot as shown:

I use unetbootin to make the usb installer with the .iso. Using the dd toolworks great also.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

hrsetrdr wrote:
I use unetbootin to make the usb installer with the .iso.
If that has ever worked for you then you just got lucky — unetbootin is an obsolete POS that does not work with Debian ISO images, there is even a bug report about it:

https://bugs.debian.org/775689

All official advice from Debian is to avoid unetbootin like the plague.

EDIT: I agree with you about Secure Boot though.
deadbang

hrsetrdr

#6 Post by hrsetrdr »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
hrsetrdr wrote:
I use unetbootin to make the usb installer with the .iso.
If that has ever worked for you then you just got lucky — unetbootin is an obsolete POS that does not work with Debian ISO images, there is even a bug report about it:

https://bugs.debian.org/775689

All official advice from Debian is to avoid unetbootin like the plague.

EDIT: I agree with you about Secure Boot though.
Thanks for the "head's up", Head_on_a_Stick...guess I'm just plain lucky. Interesting bug report, I'll mark this thread subscribed for future reference.

Creating a usb installation stick using dd does work well, and is the fastest method I've used.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).