debian-9.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso fresh install - can't get any

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

debian-9.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso fresh install - can't get any

Postby Lew_Rockwell_Fan » 2017-12-05 12:06

I've tried Debian maybe half a dozen times in the last decade or so. I always run into the same problem at the same step - selecting an archive mirror. The first couple of times I just kept trying one after another and after trying 50 or so I'd finally hit one that worked. Later, I discovered you could get away with just skipping that step. This time I looked in the log as suggested by the installer. Cat it and grep 'mirror' and found about half wern't reachable and the rest didn't have Stretch packages. This has happened to me on 3 machines now, but all at the same location.

Apt-get does work, but it never heard of any of the packages I try to install and it updates very quickly with only a few lines of output and no errors, so it reaches the net - I assume it has an abbreviated sources.lst

If you think I'm on the right track maybe you could point me toward what the sources.lst ought to look like. Or make some other suggestion. I don't want to use an installer that puts a whole DE in place. I just want to be able to add specified packages to a minimal install.
Lew_Rockwell_Fan

Re: debian-9.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso fresh install - can't get

Postby bw123 » 2017-12-05 12:16

Lew_Rockwell_Fan wrote:maybe you could point me toward what the sources.lst ought to look like.

/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/sources.list
bw123

Postby None1975 » 2017-12-05 12:58

Please, check this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, Ratpoison
None1975

Postby tynman » 2017-12-05 21:16

I don't want to use an installer that puts a whole DE in place. I just want to be able to add specified packages to a minimal install.

One of the last steps in the Debian installer is "Software Selection". On that screen ..

Uncheck Debian Desktop Environment

Leave unchecked: GNOME, XFCE, etc

Check/uncheck WebServer, SSHServer, PrintServer, StandardUtilities as you require. There is documentation on what these last options include, but I don't recall where to find them. (I never use WebServer, but I generally do select the other three options(SSHServer, PrintServer, StandardUtilities).)

If you uncheck everything, you get a very minimal but usable "Debian/Linux" system.
tynman

Return to Installation