graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-05 16:50

I'm quite new to Debian (9.1.0 "Stretch), installed and tweaked by various persons. I cannot seem to find the graphical image creation tool on my device. I would like to burn 9.2 to a USB stick, for installation on another machine.
.W.. but my search skills online seem to be failing me today. :oops: :-(
TIA

respectfully

TYPO IN HEADER: should read:
"What is the name of the graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO image to a USB sticik? I cannot locate "imagewriter" or "usbwriter
on my device.
Last edited by elton-w on 2017-12-05 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby Bulkley » 2017-12-05 17:29

Not sure what you are after but try Gimp.

Libre Office has a Draw feature.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-12-05 17:34

To work with images, including creating them and all my graphics needs, I use "ImageMagick"

To burn a image to a CD I use Xfburn:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd

I don't use a "graphic image creator", to write a iso to a usb stick, I use
the 'dd' command,
Code: Select all
man dd

by elton-w »... but my search skills online seem to be failing me today.

I would do the search for you BUT , but my search skills online seem to be failing me today as well, sorry

With respect :mrgreen:
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-05 18:06

Bulkley wrote:Not sure what you are after but try Gimp.
Libre Office has a Draw feature.

Unfortunately, I am unable to correct the typo of the header of my original post. :oops:

I wish to burn a USB stick from ISO image, using a graphical utility, rather than from a console session.
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-05 18:11

GarryRicketson wrote:To work with images, including creating them and all my graphics needs, I use "ImageMagick"

To burn a image to a CD I use Xfburn:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd

I don't use a "graphic image creator", to write a iso to a usb stick, I use
the 'dd' command,
Code: Select all
man dd

by elton-w »... but my search skills online seem to be failing me today.

I would do the search for you BUT , but my search skills online seem to be failing me today as well, sorry

With respect :mrgreen:

I specifically do NOT want to use a console session for this. Thanks.
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

Re: What is the name of the graphic image creator

Postby bw123 » 2017-12-05 18:24

There might be something already installed. try this

Code: Select all
$ apropos burn
k3b (1)              - KDE CD burning program


I don't know if the burn utils work with usb, but they probably do.

I would like to burn 9.2 to a USB stick, for installation on another machine


Do it with dd, it's just righter to do it that way.
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-12-05 18:29

by bw123 » I don't know if the burn utils work with usb,

I don't think they are intended to be used on a USB,..... they are for burning
CD's, ...............


by elton-w » I specifically do NOT want to use a console session for this. Thanks.

As far as I know there is no other way, at least on Debian, I don't think there
are any graphical utilities in the Debian repositories for this.

How do I write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?
On a Linux machine, simply use the "cp" command, to copy an image to a USB flash drive:

cp <file> <device>

Alternatively you can also use "dd":

dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync


Do you realize you could have all ready done this several times ?, use the 'dd' command, it takes about 10 seconds to type it in.
If you are unwilling or unable to do some searches, then you are going to just have to take my word for it. Or wait and see if someone else knows of some
GUI program you can install.... you could have written the iso to 5 usb sticks
in the same amount of time you have spent on this topic.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-05 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: What is the name of the graphic image creator

Postby Bulkley » 2017-12-05 18:46

Sorry about my previous reply. I thought you wanted to draw pictures. Oops.

For burning USBs I use Etcher. I run it in my ~/user space. It is not formally installed.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby 4D696B65 » 2017-12-05 18:51

elton-w wrote:Unfortunately, I am unable to correct the typo of the header of my original post. :oops:

I fixed it for you
DD FTW
User avatar
4D696B65
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: 2009-06-28 06:09

Re: Wjhat is the nme of the graphic image creator

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-05 19:16

GarryRicketson wrote:
by bw123 » I don't know if the burn utils work with usb,

I don't think they are intended to be used on a USB,..... they are for burning
CD's, ...............


by elton-w » I specifically do NOT want to use a console session for this. Thanks.

As far as I know there is no other way, at least on Debian, I don't think there
are any graphical utilities in the Debian repositories for this.

How do I write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?
On a Linux machine, simply use the "cp" command, to copy an image to a USB flash drive:

cp <file> <device>

Alternatively you can also use "dd":

dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync


Do you realize you could have all ready done this several times, use the 'dd' command, it takes about 10 seconds to type it in.
If you are unwilling or unable to do some searches, then you are going to just have to take my word for it. Or wait and see if someone else knows of some
GUI program you can install.... you could have written the iso to 5 usb sticks
in the same amount of time you have spent on this topic.

Sir ..with respect:

1) I have poor eyesight
2) I have a tendency to typos
3) I am VERY aware that a newbie can wipe out an entire drive if the dd command is improperly executed.
...hence my specific request (...my "obstinacy", if you willl...) in choosing a GUI application.

Or, failing that, perhaps I could switch back to another distro / forum where there is more tolerance for people like myself. :|

FWIW, I have used grapical apps for thus purpose in Mint Linux but my ignorance of "pure Debian" has led me to this impasse.
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

Re: graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Postby arochester » 2017-12-05 19:19

graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Etcher. https://etcher.io/
"Something to be aware of: Debian is a core or source distribution. This means there are many Debian-based distributions. THEY ARE NOT DEBIAN."
arochester
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Postby RU55EL » 2017-12-05 19:20

If you are running Debian and Gnome, there is Disks, which will allow you to restore a disk image (ISO) to a USB drive.

https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-make-a-live-usb-stick-using-gnome-disks/
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Postby stevepusser » 2017-12-06 00:10

You can very probably install and use gnome-disks on other environments, too. No help from "Disks" in the menu to really let a user know that it can create USB installers. You can also use the ddrescue gui package that's already in the repo to use dd in a GUI to create a USB, but that needs a few extra clicks and probably would not be better for you than a simpler package.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to usb

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-06 03:31

RU55EL wrote:If you are running Debian and Gnome, there is Disks, which will allow you to restore a disk image (ISO) to a USB drive.

https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-make-a-live-usb-stick-using-gnome-disks/

I have often used gnome-disk-utillity (which is installed by default). Mainly I use it for creating partitions. I was ignorant of its usage for burning ISO's to USB. I still have much to learn!

Thank you. :)
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

[SOLVD]: graphic utility to create / burn the Linux ISO to u

Postby elton-w » 2017-12-06 03:36

In response to all comments: thank you for your help.
In the meantime, I had booted into Windows 10 and burnt the images using "Rufus".
Registered Linux User #193975-85134
elton-w
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2017-10-15 18:57
Location: Montréal, Québec, CANADA

Next

Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable