Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

unable to install debian 9.2.1 on hardware RAID5

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
axel.vv

unable to install debian 9.2.1 on hardware RAID5

#1 Post by axel.vv »

Dear all, I'm trying to install debian 9.2.1 (netinst) on an AMD Ryzen system, with an hardware raid controller (lsi megaraid sas 9240-8i).Bios and firmware updated. In a previous attemp I've installed ESXi 6.5 and everything has gone well.
With debian I have a strange behaviour: If I try to install it with UEFI or UEFI + LEGACY setup of the BIOS, the installation returns me a message like "unable to init raid firmware". If I setup the BIOS with OS Type Windows 10 (WHL Driver), in 99.9% of my attemps, I've got a message repeted for all the screen like "1.1880 AMD-V log [". In just one or two attemps (and I really don't know why), the setup has arrived till the disk partitioning, I've setted up the partitions, but at the moment of write the changes, the installation it is blocked.
I've tryed with virtualization enabled or disabled. With or without multithreading. I've rebuilt the RAID. On the same RAID card, before update the firmware, and with another motherboard, I had a Debian installation (Debian 7 if I remember well).
Someone knows what is the problem?
Thank you very much!

Segfault

Re: unable to install debian 9.2.1 on hardware RAID5

#2 Post by Segfault »

You should not use fakeraid controllers as hardware RAID, because they are not. You will have many disadvantages if you succeed and no benefits.

Read more here: http://skrypuch.com/raid/

axel.vv

#3 Post by axel.vv »

So, do you suggest me to make a software raid? I've used it on my previous server. It worked good. Can I make a raid1 of EFI partitions for boot, and a raid5 for the data?
Thanks!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

axel.vv wrote:Can I make a raid1 of EFI partitions for boot ?
Probably not. Not with the Debian installer at least, because the default RAID superblock version (1.2) is incompatible with the use of a RAID 1 member as a regular partition, which is mandatory for proper EFI boot. You'll have to set it up by hand with version 1.0.

axel.vv

#5 Post by axel.vv »

Hello Back,
I've removed the RAID card, and I've attached the disks on the moderboard connectors. I see the disks on the BIOS, but not during the installation of Debian.
It seems that:
Motherboard SATA connector + HDD < 2TB Linux installation OK
Motherboard SATA connector + HDD > 2TB Linux installation failed
LSI RAID Card + RAID5 > 2TB Linux installation failed
Is it normal?
Thanks.

PS.
Motherboard Msi X370 Gaming Plus AM4

axel.vv

#6 Post by axel.vv »

Ok, Linux reconized the raid5 made with the LSI card, also without the card. It created a /dev/md125 with some errors. After deleting the md raid, the installation reconized the disks.
Thanks.