Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED!] Can Not Install Debian After Building New Computer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Can Not Install Debian After Building New Computer

#16 Post by 4D696B65 »

SHSmith wrote: Brianmc, I just saw that. The board and cpu were sold as a combo. CRAP.Looks like new processor time...
Perhaps update the mobo BIOS first. The list Bryanmc posted was for the initial release version. New cpu's were added but can't find that info at msi .

SHSmith

#17 Post by SHSmith »

Hi sunrat - I've been scouring the bios for anything mentioning secure boot and eufi. I can't find any so if they are there, they're hidden

SHSmith

#18 Post by SHSmith »

Ok, it pretty much looks like the processor; it's drawing more power than the board can give it. Thank y'all so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I'll update when I get the new one.

SHSmith

#19 Post by SHSmith »

UPDATE - I backed the CPU-FSB down to minimum and it is working; I'm installing Debian 9.2 as we speak. Soon as I figure out how to back the voltage down, I'm gonna do that. So, looks like I don't have to rush to get the new CPU. YAY!!! Merry Christmas to all!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by 4D696B65 »

4D696B65 wrote:
SHSmith wrote: Brianmc, I just saw that. The board and cpu were sold as a combo. CRAP.Looks like new processor time...
Perhaps update the mobo BIOS first. The list Bryanmc posted was for the initial release version. New cpu's were added but can't find that info at msi .

bryanmc

#21 Post by bryanmc »

4D696B65 wrote:Perhaps update the mobo BIOS first. The list Bryanmc posted was for the initial release version. New cpu's were added but can't find that info at msi .
That's why I stick with Gigabyte motherboards.

@SHS Glad to see you got it working. Does the bios have a setting to set it to "fail safe settings" or something like that. That will usually take everything down to where it should run almost anything.

SHSmith

#22 Post by SHSmith »

UPDATE - The BIOS version on the board is the latest version available. Though I had it running good with the FX-4350, my gf sent me a new fx - 4300 and I installed it tonight(dang those heat sink fins are sharp). Went into the bios and set optimum settings, then booted up. She's running like a top! No probs with Debian 9.2 or Ubuntu 14.04, I think it is; I rarely use the Ubuntu any more. Thanks guys!

bryanmc

Re: [SOLVED!] Can Not Install Debian After Building New Comp

#23 Post by bryanmc »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it running well.