Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Separate partitions for /home, /var and /tmp in Debian 9.3?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
xxor

Separate partitions for /home, /var and /tmp in Debian 9.3?

#1 Post by xxor »

Hello,

I'm installing Debian 9.3.0 amd64 netinst and I notice that the option for guided partitioning with separate partitions for /home, /var and /tmp is missing from the install options where it was available on Debian 8.10.

Is there a good reason for this, and do I now have to set this up manually if I wish to partition in this manner?

Thanks

Ardouos

Re: Separate partitions for /home, /var and /tmp in Debian 9

#2 Post by Ardouos »

xxor wrote:Hello,

I'm installing Debian 9.3.0 amd64 netinst and I notice that the option for guided partitioning with separate partitions for /home, /var and /tmp is missing from the install options where it was available on Debian 8.10.

Is there a good reason for this, and do I now have to set this up manually if I wish to partition in this manner?

Thanks
Could be a bug. In Guided partitioning there is only an option for creating 1 partition or a separate /home. After it partitioned the disks, I selected Guided partitioning again; now the option appears for a separate /home, /var and /tmp partition.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

xxor

#3 Post by xxor »

I can't even get that far. Once partitions are written the installer just goes on installing. Exiting and re-entering the guided partition menu just shows the dame option for all in one or seperate /home.

Do you have the steps you used to get that option back?

Thanks

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

xxor wrote:I can't even get that far. Once partitions are written the installer just goes on installing. Exiting and re-entering the guided partition menu just shows the dame option for all in one or seperate /home.

Do you have the steps you used to get that option back?

Thanks
It should be before you select the option "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk."
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

xxor

#5 Post by xxor »

Even stranger: I have just created a new VM with different specs and did get the option.

The first VM I created about 6 times and never got the option.
I've created 1 more VM with different specs again and didn't get the option.

Seems to be dependent on machine hardware before I get the option.

All VMs are running on XenServer 6.8 on the same host, all 8GB disks. The only difference is the number of vCPUs and amount of RAM.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

xxor wrote:Seems to be dependent on machine hardware before I get the option.All VMs are running on XenServer 6.8 on the same host, all 8GB disks. The only difference is the number of vCPUs and amount of RAM.
Did you read a wiki? Did you?
For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk space, it's best to put /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions separate from the / partition.
You might need a separate /usr/local partition if you plan to install many programs that are not part of the Debian distribution. If your machine will be a mail server, you might need to make /var/mail a separate partition. Often, putting /tmp on its own partition, for instance 20–50MB, is a good idea. If you are setting up a server with lots of user accounts, it's generally good to have a separate, large /home partition. In general, the partitioning situation varies from computer to computer depending on its uses.
Link.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

xxor

#7 Post by xxor »

None1975 wrote:
xxor wrote:Seems to be dependent on machine hardware before I get the option.All VMs are running on XenServer 6.8 on the same host, all 8GB disks. The only difference is the number of vCPUs and amount of RAM.
Did you read a wiki? Did you?
For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk space, it's best to put /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions separate from the / partition.
You might need a separate /usr/local partition if you plan to install many programs that are not part of the Debian distribution. If your machine will be a mail server, you might need to make /var/mail a separate partition. Often, putting /tmp on its own partition, for instance 20–50MB, is a good idea. If you are setting up a server with lots of user accounts, it's generally good to have a separate, large /home partition. In general, the partitioning situation varies from computer to computer depending on its uses.
Link.
Yes, but the section you highlighted is not relevant to my issue.

I am not getting the option to have seperate /home /var and /tmp partitions in the guided partition menu in most circumstances. Just seperate /home or all on same disk.