Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"Input signal out of range" error, nomodeset does not fix

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
McSwiggans

"Input signal out of range" error, nomodeset does not fix

#1 Post by McSwiggans »

Hi I installed linux on an SSD to dual boot and after trying to boot into linux my monitor gives me this error. I have tried setting "nomodeset" in the GRUB menu, and also attempting to do the steps listed here https://askubuntu.com/questions/153040/ ... splay-mode, but after logging into root user w/ safe mode but I get an error saying "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:". I have a GTX 1060 GPU. Any suggestions appreciated.

GarryRicketson

Re: "Input signal out of range" error, nomodeset does not fi

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hi I installed linux on an SSD to dual boot -----
Wow, this is great, but are you aware that there are over 100 DIFFERENT distributions ?, (distros) all based on, or using a Linux kernel,....
Nobody can really help much without knowing what Linux distro, version,
and other details.
If it is Ubuntu, and I am guessing, but since you are using their guide:
----attempting to do the steps listed here https://askubuntu.com/questions/153040/ ... splay-mode,

It would make more sense, since that is the guide you are using , to ask them,
and not us, all though we do also have some guides, and documentation for Debian, but no point in referring you to those, if you are using Ubuntu, like wise
most of the other distros have specific documentation for trouble shooting their problems, but since it is not clear which distro you are really using, again
no point in pointing you toward their documentation.
Any suggestions appreciated.
1st , read : http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Next, Ask the question on the support forum for the Linux distribution you are using , and be sure to include details that will help them know enough about your system , and installation to be able to help you.
Thank you

McSwiggans

#3 Post by McSwiggans »

I thought it was assumed that I installed debian since I am posting on the "Debian User Forums", sorry if that was confusing. I mentioned that guide because people referred me to them and those were the only ones I could find. I have a 1920x1080 60hz Samsung monitor, GTX 1060 GPU, i5 6500, and installed Debian v9.3 amd64 w/ an iso from a usb thumbdrive.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

McSwiggans wrote:I thought it was assumed that I installed debian since I am posting on the "Debian User Forums" . . .
We would love to be able to assume that. Unfortunately we are frequently visited by people with other distros and some of them don't tell us which leads us into strange places.

Does this help?
The 'Input Signal Out of Range error' usually means that your Video Card is putting out a signal that is out of range of your Monitor.
From here.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

Out of range in console, X, or both?
Video driver in use?
Your CPU has embedded graphics, presumably you are not using this in favour of the Nvidia card?

You may find this problem goes away if you install the proprietary Nvidia driver, Nouveau is still pretty naff on pascal cards.

McSwiggans wrote:after logging into root user w/ safe mode but I get an error saying "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".
No kidding, how did you expect to launch a graphical application with no Xserver running? If you need to edit the grub defaults, try a text based editor such as nano or vi.
Yay for shitty Ubuntu "answers", "gksu gedit" for fixing display / X11 problems is almost as bad as the Windoze help file for boot issues... which can only be accessed once the system has booted.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

so the message you are seeing is actually issued by the monitor itself, not the computer?
are you sure it's a samsung monitor and not a TV?
because i have never seen this message, with various monitors and GPUs, on tty or Xorg.
but i heard of many cases where people had this exact problem with TVs.
is it maybe a special monitor? a very old monitor? do you get the message under X (graphical desktop) or on tty (text interface) or both?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

debiman wrote:i have never seen this message, with various monitors and GPUs, on tty or Xorg.
I have, or at least something to that effect, on a samsung monitor :P
If it's what I assume it to be, (and the only thing I can think of) then it's the OSD on the monitor displaying the message.

And if that monitor has an OSD, it's not that old. Really old CRTs just get proper angry if you feed them an invalid mode, occasionally there's even smoke.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.