Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading from Debian 4 !!

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
joloughlin

Upgrading from Debian 4 !!

#1 Post by joloughlin »

Hi Guys

Not quite a newbie as have been "dabbling" with Linux for years (as the subject might suggest !!!) but am no expert.

For years I've been running an IBM Thinkpad 770 as a "headless" home server running debian, current versions are:
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (etch)
Release: 4.0
Codename: etch

Kernel: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 i586

So question is, what are my upgrade options as I'm looking at deploying OpenVPN access server ?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Capitain_Jack

Re: Upgrading from Debian 4 !!

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

I realy don't think debian would support that CPU anymore:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... lass_cpus/
But I have a good option for that specific use:
https://opnsense.org/
Still support those old machines. Been running good for almost an year now on an old Dell server.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

joloughlin

#3 Post by joloughlin »

Thanks for the reply @Captain_Jack, just had a look at opensuse and only has a download option for i386 and AMD64

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I recommend not to use that ancient Thinkpad. It would be frustrating with so little CPU and memory, a waste of time. A raspberry pi or similar would be a much better option for a headless server.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

joloughlin

#5 Post by joloughlin »

Appreciate the ancient HW point, but would really like to try it before any investment just to see if it meets my needs.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

In any event, to try to upgrade from Debian 4 to,?? you didn't say???
But it would not be practical, the difference between Debian 4, and Debian 9 is huge.
You would be better off just installing a the newer version,.. Make a good clone, / backup so you have everything you want to save.
If Debian 9 will run on that old of hardware, ( I have my doubts), then after you
have the server running , you could transfer the data/files you need to the new system.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

joloughlin wrote:IBM Thinkpad 770
by jove, it's almost 20 years old.
don't throw it away, it belongs in a museum!

i agree that even for a headless server it's not so good anymore; you can get discarded hardware for free, that has significantly more oomph. or spend a little on a raspberry pi.

Capitain_Jack

#8 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Or just stay as it is, no further version will be made....There are other distros that focus on that type of hardware, if you have facebook take a pick here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightweight.linux/

By the way, if you feel your question was answered, please, edit the first message title adding [SOLVED] to the beginning of it, so others can benefit from your information.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

pcalvert

#9 Post by pcalvert »

Instead of Debian, consider using Alpine Linux for that old Thinkpad.

See: https://www.alpinelinux.org/

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

First you would need to figure out what exact model and CPU it is. If it is indeed one of the ones dropped by Debian 9 (wikipedia seems to say that 770's had a 200mhz or 233 MHz Pentium MMX processor), remember that you could still use Debian 8.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

actually i think it should stay on debian 4.
since it's a museum piece, so should the software be.

obviously, don't use it as a server.

if op lives in a so-called "western" country, they can easily get a discarded laptop for free that has significantly better specs. for the server.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by steve_v »

joloughlin wrote:For years I've been running an IBM Thinkpad 770... I'm looking at deploying OpenVPN access server
Throughput on that hardware will be horrible, less-than-dialup speed horrible.
OpenVPN needs a reasonably modern CPU or a crypto-accelerator (do these still exist?) for reasonable performance, that old MMX will struggle to keep up... unless you're still using an analogue modem.

Aside, the only reason I retired my 486 router (freesco) is that ADSL got faster than its 10Mbit network cards. :P
As others have suggested, if you want to persevere with antique hardware, use a speciality router distro. Freesco is dead, but I hear Alpine is good. Or Fli4l.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

OT too ...
steve_v wrote:Aside, the only reason I retired my 486 router (freesco) is that ADSL got faster than its 10Mbit network cards. :P
Way! +1
Freesco was the business. 8)

I had a small fleet of them doing dialup duties and LAN services for a bunch of clients back in the day.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...