Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hard disk partitioning problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
lotech

hard disk partitioning problem

#1 Post by lotech »

Hi there,

I have been using LMDE for long time, which is based on Debian, because I find it quite hard to install pure Debian, I always failed in the partitioning. I used the same hard drive with Mint to reinstall Debian with the same partitions format with separate root and home partition,I reformat the drive of course, but Debian always complain problem writing to the drive, the only way to make it work is to use entire disk with guided partitioning, and then I resize the partitions to suit my need, this way I will have better chance to complete the installation. Just now I downloaded the unoffical 32bit release with drivers and Gnome and into to an USB drive, so that I can boot it up on virtually any PC. The installation went well everything seems normal, but I got Kernel panic upon boot on a Lenovo notebook, I never have any problem with LMDE install to USB drive, it is just like install to internal drive, and I can boot it up on any PC, any comment ?

bw123

Re: hard disk partitioning problem

#2 Post by bw123 »

lotech wrote:Hi there,
<snip>
any comment ?
Hi,

It seems like you're having trouble with at least two issues:

1) using debian installer

this is best solved by reading the fine installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

2) Setting up a portable install on usb for use on different computers.

Probably a debian live image is going to be what you want.
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Also, keep an open mind, debian is likely to be different than lmde in a lot of ways. I never used a debian-based distro for very long, but I'm thinking it's like comparing an apple that has been polished with paraffin to the apple tree it grew on.
resigned by AI ChatGPT