Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with boot-Persistent Soft Lockup

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Acescout92

Problems with boot-Persistent Soft Lockup

#1 Post by Acescout92 »

Hi Everyone! New to the board and new to Linux in general. Wanted to start with Debian since it seemed like a great distro to start learning Linux with, but I keep running into pretty massive issues after installation. I'm trying to install to an SSD. I can get to GRUB, and select to boot to my Linux drive. After that, however, usual start jobs seem to run into a wall and soft lockups keep getting thrown. After a while it just sits there filling out various bugs. I'm not sure what information would be useful, so I'll start with an overview of my hardware and an attached picture of the issue. I'm trying to install Debian 9 via netinst ISO bootable USB drive. Any help would be most appreciated!
CPU- Intel i5 6600K
MOBO- ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H
PSU- Corsair RM 1000
RAM - 24GB (3 x 8GB) Ballistix DDR4
GPU- Gigabyte GTX 1070
OS- Debian 9
Issue: https://imgur.com/a/lGhO2

acewiza

Re: Problems with boot-Persistent Soft Lockup

#2 Post by acewiza »

When at first you don't succeed with Debian, consider Ubuntu or Mint. :wink:

My best guess on the offending screen output would be a skipped or fubar'd install step.
Last edited by acewiza on 2018-01-08 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Acescout92

#3 Post by Acescout92 »

acewiza wrote:When at first you don't succeed with Debian, consider Ubuntu or Mint. :wink:
So, I had actually had Debian up and running on a different HDD. Decided I wanted to have it on an SSD and this is the issue that's now come up. I really enjoyed Debian and would like to use it on an SSD as my primary.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Acescout92 wrote:Hi Everyone!
<snip>
I don't browse with images on, but I was going to take a look but imgur has this on the page above two image links:
and that is not in my budget for bandwidth today.Are they really that size?
So, I had actually had Debian up and running on a different HDD. Decided I wanted to have it on an SSD and this is the issue that's now come up. I really enjoyed Debian and would like to use it on an SSD as my primary.
I think that's a great idea. I replaced my hdd about 18 months ago and it was the best upgrade ever. I don't know why that would be an issue, but I guess it could be. Have you considered any settings in your bios that could affect this, like ide/ahci/raid?

When I replaced mine, I just cloned it.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-01-08 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

Acescout92 wrote:
acewiza wrote:When at first you don't succeed with Debian, consider Ubuntu or Mint. :wink:
Some things I would check, and I am by no means an expert here:
Did you verify the checksum on the netinst ISO?
What method did you use to put the netinst ISO on the USB?
Is that netinst USB the same you used when installing to the HDD?
Have you tried to install again?

Since you had it running from an HDD I would assume that it is NOT a Skylake issue, but one never knows. Is the SSD a m.2 PCIE drive or is it a SATA 3 drive. Not sure if that figures in to the situation but just asking.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Acescout92

#6 Post by Acescout92 »

ticojohn wrote:
Acescout92 wrote:
Some things I would check, and I am by no means an expert here:
Did you verify the checksum on the netinst ISO?
What method did you use to put the netinst ISO on the USB?
Is that netinst USB the same you used when installing to the HDD?
Have you tried to install again?

Since you had it running from an HDD I would assume that it is NOT a Skylake issue, but one never knows. Is the SSD a m.2 PCIE drive or is it a SATA 3 drive. Not sure if that figures in to the situation but just asking.
Checksums are good, I used Rufus, and no, I used a different ISO and burned it to a CD.
I've tried to install it on various devices now, including HDDs. It always results in the same KIND of errors (soft lockup on various start tasks)

Acescout92

#7 Post by Acescout92 »

bw123 wrote:
Acescout92 wrote:Hi Everyone!
<snip>
I don't browse with images on, but I was going to take a look but imgur has this on the page above two image links:
and that is not in my budget for bandwidth today.Are they really that size?
I think that's a great idea. I replaced my hdd about 18 months ago and it was the best upgrade ever. I don't know why that would be an issue, but I guess it could be. Have you considered any settings in your bios that could affect this, like ide/ahci/raid?

When I replaced mine, I just cloned it.
I just got a new motherboard yesterday, I'll double-check but I assume it's in AHCI mode.

Acescout92

#8 Post by Acescout92 »

Checksums are good, I used Rufus, and no, I used a different ISO and burned it to a CD.
I've tried to install it on various devices now, including HDDs. It always results in the same KIND of errors (soft lockup on various start tasks) I should also mention that I was using a different MOBO when this issue first started happening. I switched motherboards and this hasn't fixed the issue.

Should be clear, I'm running into the same issues when I install from the same CD I used, as well. I'm assuming this is a Skylake issue.