Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Get rid of Windows and install Debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
RU55EL

Re: Get rid of Windows and install Debian

#16 Post by RU55EL »

GarryRicketson wrote:There is no real reason to keep Windows, and in the long run it is better to not keep it on a PC, but others do not agree on that. So they try to invent reasons
and convince everyone that you must have Windows, I have not had Windows on any of my PC's since about 2002, and never miss it. [...]
The primary reason to keep it, in my opinion, is that you already paid for it. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they must have it, but for some things you might find it useful. I dust off my old windows laptop when I need to reprogram my universal remotes for example. But, 99.9% of the time I use Debian, no contrib, no non-free software, just pure Debian.

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

DRM (digital rights management) another mistake IMHO
massively parallel computing - what next Mickey
synergy - the latest buzz work around the mothership - harrrrr you get the meaning

Debian
run it like the freedom it represents default stable / systemd (ebug) and massively parallel with all the other invasions of privacy
or cook up some sid reduced dependencies on it ...
at least you still have a choice ! and may we always have it !!
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

bw123

#18 Post by bw123 »

RU55EL explained my situation with the hardware example. My issue is an old NEC dot matrix printer, that I really love. I paid $65 for it in 1996 and it is so tough and reliable that I just can't get rid of it. I have not been able to figure out how to print graphics on it under Linux, so I keep one working copy of win2k on one machine to handle my real envelope mail.

The point about "you paid for it" is one I have thought about too. I also paid for Dos 5 and 6, win3, wfwg3.11, win95, 98, and XP. These shared much of the same software. I paid over and over for the same versions of the same core applications on the several versions, often times the EXACT same versions. What a rip off.

Anyway, that's in the past. There are reasons to keep a working windows install, but I have whittled most of them away.

I use both window managers and desktop environments on debian. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and it would take years for me to really evaluate all of the different combinations fairly. I wouldn't really prefer any over the others, because I haven't tried them all. lately I spend one month on kde plasma, and then switch back to fluxbox for a month.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pawRoot

#19 Post by pawRoot »

Linux is lacking alot of "pro" software, that's the reason you might need Windows/Mac OS.

Ardouos

#20 Post by Ardouos »

pawRoot wrote:Linux is lacking alot of "pro" software, that's the reason you might need Windows/Mac OS.
Depends on the software. In the graphical user end, yes. In the server end, no.

I never needed to rely on Windows software since switching, I am happy with the software available on Linux.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pawRoot

#21 Post by pawRoot »

Just depends what you need, many people require pro software for photo editing, music production, videos etc.
And Linux is lacking badly in this *sector*.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by sunrat »

pawRoot wrote:Just depends what you need, many people require pro software for photo editing, music production, videos etc.
That's a broad statement and only partly true. I use Harrison Mixbus for audio production and find it to be better in many facets than the industry standard ProTools. And while Mixbus is still under rapid development along with it's progenitor Ardour, the main development in ProTools is in their licensing and how to extract more money from users (it now needs an annual subscription).
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bw123

#23 Post by bw123 »

sunrat wrote:...the main development in <irrelevant> is in their licensing and how to extract more money from users (it now needs an annual subscription).
This is just the point I was getting at earlier. Once you commit to a windows environment, you are hooked into an endless cycle of upgrades.

...software, os, hardware, software, os, etc... and they sell you the same code over and over with a few minor additions and maybe a few bugfixes. You are supposed to throw away the hardware that no longer works.

But every version still contains the same code you already paid for!!

You can tell this is true by the persistent bugs over several version 'upgrades' it's the same code.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pawRoot

#24 Post by pawRoot »

sunrat wrote:
pawRoot wrote:Just depends what you need, many people require pro software for photo editing, music production, videos etc.
That's a broad statement and only partly true. I use Harrison Mixbus for audio production and find it to be better in many facets than the industry standard ProTools. And while Mixbus is still under rapid development along with it's progenitor Ardour, the main development in ProTools is in their licensing and how to extract more money from users (it now needs an annual subscription).
It's not broad statement, it's a fact, most pro software is available for Mac OS and Windows, i hope it will change one day though.
Pro Tools is mostly used for mixing and mastering, not production.
Another thing is good luck running most of the VST on Linux, most of the neccesary plugins for mixing/mastering are Mac/Windows only
so even if you could run Pro Tools on Debian it's still pointless.
bw123 wrote:
sunrat wrote:...the main development in <irrelevant> is in their licensing and how to extract more money from users (it now needs an annual subscription).
This is just the point I was getting at earlier. Once you commit to a windows environment, you are hooked into an endless cycle of upgrades.

...software, os, hardware, software, os, etc... and they sell you the same code over and over with a few minor additions and maybe a few bugfixes. You are supposed to throw away the hardware that no longer works.

But every version still contains the same code you already paid for!!

You can tell this is true by the persistent bugs over several version 'upgrades' it's the same code.
lol what a bollocks, so you expect them to make upgrades to software and keep maintaining it/fixing bugs for free?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

pawRoot wrote: Pro Tools is mostly used for mixing and mastering, not production.
Another thing is good luck running most of the VST on Linux, most of the neccesary plugins for mixing/mastering are Mac/Windows only
so even if you could run Pro Tools on Debian it's still pointless.
Mixing and mastering is production. Creating music is also production.
You're right about the plugins, there are many thousands available for Mac/Windows only and many of them are very expensive. There are also a lot available for Linux and the best of them are expensive too. There are equivalent Linux plugins for a lot of Win/Mac ones and I certainly don't need most of the ones for which there is no equivalent.
lol what a bollocks, so you expect them to make upgrades to software and keep maintaining it/fixing bugs for free?
I would expect bugs to be fixed for free. Only new features are worth paying for.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Wheelerof4te

#26 Post by Wheelerof4te »

sunrat wrote:I would expect bugs to be fixed for free. Only new features are worth paying for.
Unless you did a free upgrade to Windows 10 while it was avaiable. However, I don't know if it will stay free since every new build adds some new feature. In about a year, Windows 10 could switch to a subscription-based model, like RHEL or SUSE.

Ardouos

#27 Post by Ardouos »

Wheelerof4te wrote: In about a year, Windows 10 could switch to a subscription-based model, like RHEL or SUSE.
Wouldn't need to as they get their money through selling data and adds through the OS taking advantage of users ignorance/lack of care for their own privacy. Let's not forget that you still pay for a license for a new computer with Windows pre-installed or major hardware upgrade (supposedly).

It would not surprise me if they tried to pull off a paid subscription service to access some "advanced features".
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bw123

#28 Post by bw123 »

...so you expect them to make upgrades to software and keep maintaining it/fixing bugs for free?
When an "upgrade" or new version means

... the the 3rd party software you have paid for no longer works and also requires an "upgrade"

... your hardware won't function because it needs new drivers that aren't available

... that all you really get is some new wallpaper, new icons, rearranged ui and preinstalled software that was "free" already before, but you can't remove now

... you find the bugs/annoyances that have been present for years

It's not an upgrade, and if it costs money, then it's a rip off. This was my experience with MS. It's brilliant, it's a great business plan, everybody has made a lot of money, that's fine. How many times do you have to get your pocket picked before you realize what is going on?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pawRoot

#29 Post by pawRoot »

sunrat wrote: Mixing and mastering is production. Creating music is also production.
True but thats how many people separate it, since quite often people make the track with some basic mix and then send it to sound engineer anyway who does the mix/mastering.
So what i meant is people prefer to use ProTools for the second "stage", and for creating the track itself DAWs like Ableton/Logic etc.

GarryRicketson

#30 Post by GarryRicketson »

Solves all the problems with MS and windows. People need to learn to "Just Say NO", and wean their selves from the dependency on windows.
Instead of paying Microsoft lot's of money, maybe try paying some qualified
Unix, and Unix like (linux), developers, to help encourage them to work on any software that they feel is lacking for Linux,... all though there is plenty of excellent software packages all ready available for Linux, contrary to the myths the MS windows lovers try to spread, there still is room for more, but the windows lovers prefer paying MS to control their systems, instead of paying for development of Linux software.
"Just Say NO , to MS" get rid of windows forever.

pawRoot

#31 Post by pawRoot »

bw123 wrote:
...so you expect them to make upgrades to software and keep maintaining it/fixing bugs for free?
When an "upgrade" or new version means

... the the 3rd party software you have paid for no longer works and also requires an "upgrade"

... your hardware won't function because it needs new drivers that aren't available

... that all you really get is some new wallpaper, new icons, rearranged ui and preinstalled software that was "free" already before, but you can't remove now

... you find the bugs/annoyances that have been present for years

It's not an upgrade, and if it costs money, then it's a rip off. This was my experience with MS. It's brilliant, it's a great business plan, everybody has made a lot of money, that's fine. How many times do you have to get your pocket picked before you realize what is going on?
First of all nobody forces you to buy any software on Windows, you can use free software same as on Linux.
Second thing, can you give examples of such software? (software which changes UI only for example and forces you to pay for it)
Last edited by pawRoot on 2018-01-24 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#32 Post by GarryRicketson »

pawRoot

#33 Post by pawRoot »

GarryRicketson wrote:People need to learn to "Just Say NO"
In some cases you can't just say no, that's the point.

Wheelerof4te

#34 Post by Wheelerof4te »

If your work depends on Windows, then use Windows.
If your boss, who gives you your pay, forces you to use Windows, then use Windows;
If you need certain Adobe producs for work (WINE doesn't count and most people don't wanna hassle with it) or making money, then use Windows;
If you like Windows, then use Windows;
If you don't know any better or just don't care, then by all means, use Windows;

But if you:
Don't need Windows for anything crucial for your existance and financial well-being;
Don't want to pay M$ tax just to use your PC;
Hate buggy mess of an OS that is Windows (10);
Like to tinker with software sources, develop free software without any restrictions etc.;
Want some other DE choices;
then use something other than Windows.

Simple.

johntandy

#35 Post by johntandy »

Thank you all for your responses.

Too complicated for me. I'll think I'll try another distro.