Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Get rid of Windows and install Debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pawRoot

Re: Get rid of Windows and install Debian

#31 Post by pawRoot »

bw123 wrote:
...so you expect them to make upgrades to software and keep maintaining it/fixing bugs for free?
When an "upgrade" or new version means

... the the 3rd party software you have paid for no longer works and also requires an "upgrade"

... your hardware won't function because it needs new drivers that aren't available

... that all you really get is some new wallpaper, new icons, rearranged ui and preinstalled software that was "free" already before, but you can't remove now

... you find the bugs/annoyances that have been present for years

It's not an upgrade, and if it costs money, then it's a rip off. This was my experience with MS. It's brilliant, it's a great business plan, everybody has made a lot of money, that's fine. How many times do you have to get your pocket picked before you realize what is going on?
First of all nobody forces you to buy any software on Windows, you can use free software same as on Linux.
Second thing, can you give examples of such software? (software which changes UI only for example and forces you to pay for it)
Last edited by pawRoot on 2018-01-24 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#32 Post by GarryRicketson »

Get rid of Windows and install Debian

pawRoot

#33 Post by pawRoot »

GarryRicketson wrote:People need to learn to "Just Say NO"
In some cases you can't just say no, that's the point.

Wheelerof4te

#34 Post by Wheelerof4te »

If your work depends on Windows, then use Windows.
If your boss, who gives you your pay, forces you to use Windows, then use Windows;
If you need certain Adobe producs for work (WINE doesn't count and most people don't wanna hassle with it) or making money, then use Windows;
If you like Windows, then use Windows;
If you don't know any better or just don't care, then by all means, use Windows;

But if you:
Don't need Windows for anything crucial for your existance and financial well-being;
Don't want to pay M$ tax just to use your PC;
Hate buggy mess of an OS that is Windows (10);
Like to tinker with software sources, develop free software without any restrictions etc.;
Want some other DE choices;
then use something other than Windows.

Simple.

johntandy

#35 Post by johntandy »

Thank you all for your responses.

Too complicated for me. I'll think I'll try another distro.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#36 Post by sunrat »

I put off installing Debian for years because I thought it was complicated. When I finally did, it wasn't hard at all. The only extra steps from some other distros is to install and configure hardware that required non-free packages which is all explained in the wiki although some hardware is less supported. There is also an "unofficial" non-free install media that includes most of the non-free bits.
I'd recommend MX-17 for a distro that's a bit more friendly to set up for new explorers.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Thorny

#37 Post by Thorny »

sunrat wrote:I'd recommend MX-17 for a distro that's a bit more friendly to set up for new explorers.
+1
It is a polished derivative of Debian Stretch, that is easy to install, very nice looking and has some nice configuration tools that are easy for inexperienced users to use. Great forum, too!