Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating error on Debian 7.11 (wheezy)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dotlj

Re: Updating error on Debian 7.11 (wheezy)

#16 Post by dotlj »

For an Atom processor, 16 GB is probably enough. I've seen a number of firewalls with Intel 64 bit processors running on 16GB SSDs with most of it used as cache.
Ordering a 64GB SSD will give you a lot more space.
I have a 500GB SSD and root is taking 5.2GB.

I'm not quite certain about your /boot partition, it seems to be part of /.
From the size of the partitions
sda9 5.5GB /home
sda8 365MB /tmp
sda7 ?MB swap
sda6 2.5GB /var
sda5 5.3GB /usr
sda1 ?GB /

Before resizing I'd like to be clear about how much free space and if /dev/sda2 is required or can be reclaimed.

/ can't be very big and the error seems to be not enough space. I suggest checking how many images you have installed

Code: Select all

ls -l /boot/
Usually you can keep two or three but you don't have enough space, so if you have more than two, apt-get remove the linux-image of the oldest installed kernel to make space for the update.
If you can reclaim /dev/sda2 to increase /, then you can do that. From my experience, partitioning a small disk is more likely to lead to this sort of disk space problem.

An easier way would probably be to backup your data, do a fresh install on the 64GB disk, think carefully about the partitioning before you do the installation, then restore your data.
Try Debian Stretch.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#17 Post by steve_v »

I suggest forgetting about the separate partitions for /usr /var /tmp etc. Perhaps keep /home on it's own partition for ease of upgrading, but the rest just make life difficult - it's a lot easier to move files about than resize partitions when you discover your initial space guestimates were incorrect.
I'm not sure a separate /usr is even officially supported these days, and I can't see a valid reason for it unless you're booting from floppy disks.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dotlj

#18 Post by dotlj »

steve_v wrote:I suggest forgetting about the separate partitions for /usr /var /tmp etc. Perhaps keep /home on it's own partition for ease of upgrading, but the rest just make life difficult - it's a lot easier to move files about than resize partitions when you discover your initial space guestimates were incorrect.
I'm not sure a separate /usr is even officially supported these days, and I can't see a valid reason for it unless you're booting from floppy disks.
Agree 100%. You can get away with that if your disk is big, but with 16GB, you don't really have much free space on any partition.