Updating error on Debian 7.11 (wheezy)

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Updating error on Debian 7.11 (wheezy)

Postby dotlj » 2018-02-06 06:17

For an Atom processor, 16 GB is probably enough. I've seen a number of firewalls with Intel 64 bit processors running on 16GB SSDs with most of it used as cache.
Ordering a 64GB SSD will give you a lot more space.
I have a 500GB SSD and root is taking 5.2GB.

I'm not quite certain about your /boot partition, it seems to be part of /.
From the size of the partitions
sda9 5.5GB /home
sda8 365MB /tmp
sda7 ?MB swap
sda6 2.5GB /var
sda5 5.3GB /usr
sda1 ?GB /

Before resizing I'd like to be clear about how much free space and if /dev/sda2 is required or can be reclaimed.

/ can't be very big and the error seems to be not enough space. I suggest checking how many images you have installed
Code: Select all
ls -l /boot/

Usually you can keep two or three but you don't have enough space, so if you have more than two, apt-get remove the linux-image of the oldest installed kernel to make space for the update.
If you can reclaim /dev/sda2 to increase /, then you can do that. From my experience, partitioning a small disk is more likely to lead to this sort of disk space problem.

An easier way would probably be to backup your data, do a fresh install on the 64GB disk, think carefully about the partitioning before you do the installation, then restore your data.
Try Debian Stretch.
dotlj

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-06 06:45

I suggest forgetting about the separate partitions for /usr /var /tmp etc. Perhaps keep /home on it's own partition for ease of upgrading, but the rest just make life difficult - it's a lot easier to move files about than resize partitions when you discover your initial space guestimates were incorrect.
I'm not sure a separate /usr is even officially supported these days, and I can't see a valid reason for it unless you're booting from floppy disks.
steve_v

Postby dotlj » 2018-02-06 10:30

steve_v wrote:I suggest forgetting about the separate partitions for /usr /var /tmp etc. Perhaps keep /home on it's own partition for ease of upgrading, but the rest just make life difficult - it's a lot easier to move files about than resize partitions when you discover your initial space guestimates were incorrect.
I'm not sure a separate /usr is even officially supported these days, and I can't see a valid reason for it unless you're booting from floppy disks.

Agree 100%. You can get away with that if your disk is big, but with 16GB, you don't really have much free space on any partition.
dotlj

Previous

Return to Installation