Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Testing + Windows 10

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Stauricus

#1 Post by Stauricus »

hi everybody
i just bought a new computer, which ships with windows 10. i'd like to keep it, but i also need Debian.
i'm not used to this secure boot and uefi. my older computer didn't had it.

so, what i did so far:
1)turned of secure boot
2)changed boot mode from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support"
3) changed boot priority from "UEFI first" to "Legacy first"
4)created a netinst flashdrive, using dd
5)installed Debian Buster
6)after installation is finished, in Debian, i mounted the Windows partition and typed in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub
and i got the following:
Generating grub configuration file...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found Linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-3-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.14.0-3-amd64
done
but Windows still doesn't show up in GRUB menu. and if i change boot priority back to "UEFI first", it just loads Windows. i searched google, but no success so far...
any idea on how to fix it? i don't really care if i'm going to use GRUB or window's OS selector, i just want to be able to select one of them when i turn the computer on.

thanks in advance!

dotlj

Re: Debian Testing + Windows 10

#2 Post by dotlj »

Windows 10 is usually installed to only boot from secure boot and UEFI, so when you turn off secure boot and UEFI, then without installing anything else, Windows won't boot.
You verified that by changing back to UEFI boot.

Some say that it is better to partition the disk inside Windows, others say it doesn't matter.
Please see https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI for details on installing Debian using UEFI. If you want to keep Windows and use Debian, you will have to use UEFI boot for Debian.

Please read the above mentioned wiki and try again.

perieanuo

#3 Post by perieanuo »

Install docker and make a stretch container. Network type is your's choice, we haven't heard WHY you need Deb and that changes the possible answers

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI NXT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Usually these kinds of situations are resolved by answering the question "why" you need both OSes. You will save yourself a lot of pain by keeping only one of them. Decide which one you need more and use that. If the answer is "but I like them both and want to use them", then you must be prepared for some annoying problems.

Now onto the harder part. Debian can be installed to dual-boot from UEFI, but prefered method is to use Stable minimal install and upgrade to Testing. Resize one of the partitions inside Windows 10 to use for Debian, it's much easier that way. Debian installer should recognize Windows and add it to GRUB automatically. After that, you can choose which OS to boot.

Stauricus

#5 Post by Stauricus »

hi everyone
based on dotlj's link and some other things i found, i discovered my error.

to install alongside window 10, you need to:
Turn Off Secure Boot
Turn On UEFI
Turn Off Fast Boot

after that, at some point, it seems Windows did a reset in the BIOS.to fix that, i changed all the configurations back to what is above, and typed as root, in Windows terminal emulator:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\debian\grubx64.efi
thanks everybody for the help :D

dotlj

#6 Post by dotlj »

but prefered method is to use Stable minimal install and upgrade to Testing.
Sorry, Stable is the stable version recommended for most users. Testing is as the name suggests for testing.
https://www.debian.org/releases/
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... #s-testing

Stauricus

#7 Post by Stauricus »

i do know that. i've been using Debian for some years already, and Testing always have been stable to me. but thanks anyway.