Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No wifi available after debian installation xfce4 edition

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
francois.e

No wifi available after debian installation xfce4 edition

#1 Post by francois.e »

After a fresh installation of debian xfce4 edition, wifi ssid were not available. I wonder if at installation iwlwifi should not come stock with the iwlwifi driver. Preferably asking at installation if it is wanted, or at least state at installation to the person installing the system that this will be needed for proper function of the wifi links. A simple mention of iwlwifi driver missing is not much for a newcomer to linux.

Here is the solution to the iwlwifi driver missing message at installation:
https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi#Installation

Even though I am not naive linux user with another distribution I had to install the system two times, before catching the issue. Isn't that too much ask for a newbie installing the distribution for the first time making sense of a simple mention that iwlwifi driver will be missing?

This said I love debian package pasture.

Wheelerof4te

Re: No wifi available after debian installation xfce4 editio

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

https://www.debian.org/social_contract
https://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

Usually, when someone intends to install a brand new OS, he/she is expected to read some documents about it, just to have a clear picture. Debian does not endorse non-free software, in any way including non-free firmware.
That said, you have solved your own problem. Now do some reading, mentioned above.

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

francois.e wrote:Even though I am not naive linux user with another distribution I had to install the system two times, before catching the issue. Isn't that too much ask for a newbie installing the distribution for the first time making sense of a simple mention that iwlwifi driver will be missing?
To be frank about your question, Debian is not trying to be a distro for newbies. And besides, we are just users here, not the Debian developers. If you are serious about wanting to help, and you think it appropriate, you should file a wishlist bug on the installer.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

The information about firmware is in the installation manual and/or release notes. Many people skip the documentation because they think it's a waste of time. Many people think debian should be like every other linux distro. I'm not sure, but I think it is very unique.

Firmware is not a "driver" and it's good to understand the difference, right from the start. You can learn more about it in the wiki.
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
resigned by AI ChatGPT

francois.e

#5 Post by francois.e »

@all:
I retain the advice about that proposition to the debian developpers and the more precise term for what is called firmware. Personally, I like the KISS principle, when it is possible.

I was not trying to offuscate anyone. :wink:

Thanks for answering to the thread.

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

francois.e wrote:I was not trying to offuscate anyone. :wink:
As far as I can tell, you didn't, those posters are smart users. ;-)

francois.e

#7 Post by francois.e »

Nice to have the information handy. It prevented me of reinventing the wheel. :D

milomak

#8 Post by milomak »

i'm sure there was no need to revive the thread
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

francois.e

#9 Post by francois.e »

It depends. Things change so fast in the linux world. Knowing that the solution is still effective is not a bad thing.

But I am very much open to suggestions. Any moderator asking me to remove this post and the preceding one of mine, will have a favorable answer.

Cheers.