Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Debian 2.2r7 with desktop environment

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ght4361

Re: Installing Debian 2.2r7 with desktop environment

#16 Post by ght4361 »

Thanks for the information. I will probably keep this as a side project and instead focus on learning more about Debian.

dawg161

Re: Installing Debian 2.2r7 with desktop environment

#17 Post by dawg161 »

If anyone still cares about this, I managed to get a working copy of Debian 2.2 (Potato) running in a Virtualbox (v. 5.2.18) in 2019.

The problems seen here seem to be a problem with Potato's installer rather than anything about Virtualbox.

I let the graphical program in the installer attempt to configure
Xfree86 a couple of times and then when was returned to the terminal for another attempt I hit control c

The installer then tried to fix the rest of the system that didn't involve x.

I then logged in, did su - and ran xf86config

Most of the default options worked. The mouse needs to be PS/2 at
/dev/psaux

I picked the simplest graphics that was good enough for me (color, but just VGA) because I just wanted to play around with the early versions of the software. I also chose a clockchip of IBM RGB 51x/52x(autodected) based on this website:

https://superuser.com/questions/719270/ ... virtualbox

let it save the file, logout of root, and then type startx and you're good to go.

Honestly, it's remarkable how usable a system you get from June, 2000. But it's also true that my next oldest VM, from October, 2005, is far closer to present day than what you get from this.