Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem creating Live USB

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
sega dude

Problem creating Live USB

#1 Post by sega dude »

I am trying to create a Debian 9 live USB with persistence using these instructions. I am using the image "debian-live-9.3.0-amd64-mate.iso". It boots fine after step 1, and after step 2. After step 3, it will no longer boot. The light on the flash drive blinks for a few seconds and the computer sits on a black screen with a white blinking cursor. I used GParted on another computer running Debian 9 to do step 3. I tried twice and got the same result. What am I doing wrong? The drive was created on a Windows 10 computer using Rufus (latest version 2.18) as per the instructions. The flash drive is a 32GB Staples branded flash drive if that helps.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Problem creating Live USB

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I'm pretty sure that the methods to which you have linked destroy the UEFI capability of the ISO image so try enabling CSM or "Legacy" mode to boot the stick.
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I'm pretty sure Rufus has a GPT mode...yeah: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
MX Linux packager and developer

sega dude

#4 Post by sega dude »

The computer I am booting the live USB on is a 9 year old ThinkPad T500, which does not have UEFI.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

sega dude wrote:The computer I am booting the live USB on is a 9 year old ThinkPad T500, which does not have UEFI.
Are you sure? I went round and round pulling my hair out trying to make a live-USB work on an old Toshiba only to find out it did have UEFI set in the BIOS. The thing is that I thought it was old enough that it wouldn't. Go through your BIOS and look for UEFI. If you find it see if it can be changed. It won't hurt to look.

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

sega dude wrote:I am trying to create a Debian 9 live USB with persistence using url=http://www.fabbnet.net/Live_Persistent.htm]these[/url] instructions.
I'll take a shot in the dark. :-) Are you certain your stick started formatted as FAT32 as step one stated?

sega dude

#7 Post by sega dude »

I'm pretty sure it does not have UEFI. The thing is that it boots fine up until step 3. Step 3 involves shrinking the FAT32 partition down to a size big enough to hold it's contents. Then creating an ext4 partition in the remaining space with the persistence. I did this with GParted on another Debian 9 machine. Other than setting the label as persistence, I leave all the default settings with creating the ext4 partition. Rufus automatically formats the stick as FAT32 at the beginning.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

sega dude wrote: The thing is that it boots fine up until step 3.
I never used rufus, but can you create the fat32 first the right size and rufus it onto that? Then you won't have to worry about resizing.

I never did one like this, but I took a look at the link. Did you folow the link to the method this easy shortcut is based on?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

sega dude, if you are still having trouble look at AntiX Linux which claims to be "The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!" AntiX has tools to make a live-USB with persistence easier. If nothing else, read through the instructions to see if there is anything in there which would help with your project. There are even links to Youtube videos showing how to do it.

sega dude

#10 Post by sega dude »

Bulkley wrote:sega dude, if you are still having trouble look at AntiX Linux which claims to be "The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!" AntiX has tools to make a live-USB with persistence easier. If nothing else, read through the instructions to see if there is anything in there which would help with your project. There are even links to Youtube videos showing how to do it.
Thanks for telling me about AntiX Linux. I created an AntiX Linux live USB with persistence using the video tutorial and it's working create. Is there a way I use MATE as the desktop environment?

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Just install mate-desktop-environment to get the base MATE desktop. I don't think you'll get the recommended packages on antiX like you do in Debian, so it would be even more basic. You can either install it with the "--install-recommends" flag to duplicate the Debian install, or run

Code: Select all

apt depends mate-desktop-environment

to see what you'd like to add manually.

BTW, MX Linux also uses the same LiveUSB tools as MX. This is very popular with users. You can also combine it with the snapshot tool to make an ISO of your setup once you have it perfect and make a liveUSB from that ISO, though I believe if you want to make your own redistributable distro type of ISO, you will have to manually put the config files for any desktop that MX or antiX doesn't come with to get anything but the generic Debian type of install. So a customized xfce would carry over automatically to that distro, but not your customized MATE. At least that is how it worked for my KDE 4 respin of MX 16. If you're just making a duplicate ISO of your install with the same home folder, that will work without that issue.
MX Linux packager and developer