Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

tp-smapi-dkms failed build with self-build kernel+header

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
andyjackson

tp-smapi-dkms failed build with self-build kernel+header

#1 Post by andyjackson »

I download source 4.14.x from kernel.org, build the kernel image and header deb files by 'make deb-pkg ...', then install them and reboot, that's ok, os is debian9 stable+backports.

When i build tp-smapi-dkms for kernel-4.14.x, failed with the error 'Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y', even if i install libelf-dev.

But if i install kernel+headers 4.14.x from backports, tp-smapi-dkms build success both sources from backports and kernel.org. My self-build kernel use the same config copied from the kernel4.14.x backports, so the error 'Cannot generate ORC...' is not means config error, it shoud be dkms build scripts have some problem.

Does anyone know how to fix it if i want to build tp-smapi-dkms for kernel 4.15.x?

stevepusser

Re: tp-smapi-dkms failed build with self-build kernel+header

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Did you have libelf-dev installed for the kernel build?
MX Linux packager and developer

andyjackson

#3 Post by andyjackson »

the libelf-dev installed.

andyjackson

#4 Post by andyjackson »

install libc6-dev compile success.
close this report.

Thorny

#5 Post by Thorny »

andyjackson wrote:install libc6-dev compile success. close this report.
The only way this thread will be "closed"(locked) is if a Moderator or Forum Administrator thinks there is some sort of violation of the Forum Standards.

However, it can be helpful for people searching in the future if you go back to your original post and prepend [solved], or something like that, to the subject line. That way it can become a more useful part of the database.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

How on earth did you build the kernel without libc6-dev installed? You can't compile any C code without it.

andyjackson

#7 Post by andyjackson »

ok let me explain. I build custom kernel and header deb files by kernel souce provide 'make deb-pkg ...' scripts from a docker container (which exists libc6-dev maybe?), then install custom kernel and header files to host which does not install libc6-dev, the custom header deb not dependence libelf-dev and libc6-dev actually need them. (bug maybe?)

i was tried install tp-smapi-dkms package (dkms build system) but build failed, (libc6-dev not dependence installed?) then i download tp-smapi-dkms from github and compile failed too, even i installed libelf-dev by tips.

so i traced tp-smapi-dkms source Makefile finally find out libc6-dev must be installed.

if build tp-smapi-dkms for kernel+header binary from debina repo don't have my problem, all dependency is fine.

my report is only for source from kernel.org, and use scripts from it to make deb files.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

OK, not a bug, really. To compile anything, you should have build-essential installed, and that brings in libc6-dev. I guess Debian assumes that you already know that.

andyjackson

#9 Post by andyjackson »

apt install tp-smapi-dkms linux-headers-4.x from debian stable+backports repo won't auto install build-essential libc6-dev libelf-dev, still build success.