Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FreeIPA on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
vikozo

FreeIPA on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#1 Post by vikozo »

hello
i wished to install FreeIPA on a Debian Stretch KVM
apt update and upgrade works nice

# apt install freeipa-server
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
E: Paket freeipa-server kann nicht gefunden werden.

more or less at the end it say he can't find the packet. is this just a problem with stretch?
have a nice day
vinc

# LC_ALL=C apt install freeipa-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package freeipa-server

GarryRicketson

Re: FreeIPA on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

It looks like that package is only available for Debian SID
https://packages.debian.org/sid/freeipa-server

vikozo

#3 Post by vikozo »

@garryRicketson merci
ok, so what would i have to do to be able to install it?

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

you can look if it's in backports.
if it isn't (probably not since it's not even in testing), there's nothing you can do.
well, no, you can try to get your hands on a .deb file and install it manually, but it is very likely you'll run into dependency problems.

vikozo

#5 Post by vikozo »

Merci
maybe it would help to install a older Debian, install FreeIPA and then Upgrade Debian :( :?

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

vikozo wrote:Merci
maybe it would help to install a older Debian, install FreeIPA and then Upgrade Debian :( :?
I don't understand how that would work, it wasn't available for an older Debian either.

If you are knowledgeable enough to build it yourself you could find it on GitHub.

You probably would have better luck installing it on Red Hat or Fedora.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

We need to apply some logic,
The package is available for Debian SID, only. Look at the link I posted to the package, on the far right, there are more links , it is titled: Links for freeipa-server, As mentioned maybe you could get the source and compile it, you
could also search back ports, as suggested. There are options, but all the options require advanced skills and knowledge. The logical option , in my mind is;
since it is only available for Debian SID;
Upgrade from your current Debian Stretch (stable), to "testing", and then to Sid,
OR simply install Debian Sid on a different VM,
How ever the OP does not have the skill, ability to even search and get the information on "How to install Debian Sid", in the searches it is likely to encounter, "What version of Debian should I use", and running Debian SID is not recommended for someone that does not know how to search for the information they need to keep a Debian Sid system working well.
I would recommend simply using Debian SID, if this package is essential to yor work and system, but I can not / or will not suggest or recommend using Debian sid to some body that needs to be asking these kind of questions.
Debian sid is not a good choices for a beginner.
If the OP had looked at the link I showed, they also would see on the far right side, in the same list under: Links for freeipa-server
Similar packages:
In that list, some are available for Debian Stretch, I just looked at 1, it is up to the OP to do a little searching their self, and maybe find something similar that is available for Debian Stretch. Or just hope maybe someone like Stevepusser comes along and backports a package for them , so any way, this is way to long, and there is not anything else I can think of that would help. So that is all folks ! sorry I can't be of more help.