Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing 8.4.0 onto a Barebones Asus P1-P5945G

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
KenHorse

Installing 8.4.0 onto a Barebones Asus P1-P5945G

#1 Post by KenHorse »

Install goes smoothly, network works fine (as evidenced by being able to download from mirror) during install. However after boot, no network even though ifconfig shows eth0 is there, just doesn't have an IP assigned (using dhcp of course).

I'm not a newbie but I'm no expert either....

(yea I know jessie is old but I have the DVD so I figured I'd upgrade to stretch after I got this going. Kinda hard with no network tho!

bw123

Re: Installing 8.4.0 onto a Barebones Asus P1-P5945G

#2 Post by bw123 »

I don't think jessie to stretch upgrade is the best strategy. If you are new to debian it might be better to do a fresh install of stretch.

If you want to continue there is plenty to learn about network here
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

and upgrade advice is here
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

good luck!
resigned by AI ChatGPT

KenHorse

#3 Post by KenHorse »

Thanks but that really doesn't help.

My issue that the eth0 shows (ifconfig -a) but it simply isn't activated. My /etc/network/interfaces looks fine and is set for dhcp

KenHorse

#4 Post by KenHorse »

I found the problem

Not ONE of the installer images I've tried seems to install dhcp. After boot, if I change eth0 to be static and manually assign things in /etc/network/interfaces, it boots up just fine with network working.

Go figure....