Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

divers display manager and divers window managers

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
oui

divers display manager and divers window managers

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I did install divers window manager on my minimal installation esp. jwm (was the first)

As JWM is packaged, it can not work FULL properly because the example given in Debian in /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc is wrong: You copy that example, of course (what else :mrgreen: ) and become never able to show some background picture (*1 !

Also you will continue to install more and after that I did install razorQT (in Jessie 8.10 i386). In Debian Jessie razorQT has a rich choice of dependencies, espec. xdm

After the restart, you see the ugly splash screen from xdm and will not have the right to open your first choice window manager any more (in my case jwm; but you can use jwm with razorQT: that is possible, change only in ~/.config/razor/session.conf ... If you adapt your /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc adequately (especially the tray division of system.jwmrc, for example:

Code: Select all

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
   <Tray  x="0" y="-1" height="32" layout="horizontal" valign="top" autohide="true">

<!--Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
      <TrayButton label="DEBIAN-Jessie">root:1</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Palemoon" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/web-browser.png">exec:palemoon</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="KompoZer" icon="/opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/editorWindow16.png">exec:seamonkey -edit</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Tea" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/tea.xpm">exec:tea</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Sublime" icon="/usr/lib/sublime_text_3/Icon/16x16/sublime-text.png">exec:sublime</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Grun" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/grun.xpm">exec:grun</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Rox" icon="/usr/share/rox/images/application.png">exec:rox</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Volume" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/gnome-mixer.png">exec:alsamixergui</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Snapshot" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/screensaver.xpm">exec:mtpaintsnapshot.sh</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Console" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/terminal.png">exec:roxterm</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="Shutdown" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kshutdown.png">exec:kshutdown</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton label="_">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attribute: labeled -->
      <Pager labeled="true"/>

<TaskList maxwidth="256"/>

<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
      <Swallow name="xload" width="64">
         xload -nolabel -bg black -fg red -hl white
      </Swallow>

<Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>

</Tray>
you will have an idem JWM tray on top and the tray of razorQT at the bottom.

Is that good? No, not really, only sometimes if you use the other abilities of razorQT not offered in JWM (JWM, really, needs nothing including to show a background picture...).

To permit the turn back to JWM without to change something concerning razorQT, I did install at the next step to login the display manager SLIM, and select it as my first session manager (XDM stay installed but is inactive).

With F1 before I log in in slim, I can select an other Window manager. But before JWM, in my eyes my main Window Manager, is proposed, I have to hit 3 times on F1. This is not good...

How to change the order of the registration of the divers Window Managers in the system (you can have really a lot more than 3, for example 6, for example razor, open-box, jwm, englightenment, wayland, kde!)?

I need JWM hat the first place!

(*1: allthough JWM is extremely small, it can manage both, system trays AND background picture without to need some external application like xli or feh! But the by Debian proposed example includes a terrible error:

Depending how it was compiled for, JWM can open *.jpeg OR (but not both!) for ex. *.png pictures.

The example has a text for *.jpeg but the compiled version can only open *.png pictures! So that you never see your background picture as long you don't save it in the right format with the extension *.png :mrgreen: ...

stevepusser

Re: divers display manager and divers window managers

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Somehow I thought this was going to be about Linus's favorite GUI, since he's into SCUBA diving.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: divers display manager and divers window managers

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oui wrote:SLIM
That project is dead upstream and the display manager does not integrate with systemd login sessions properly, switch to LightDM instead.

Musical link in reference to the thread title:

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

\m/(=.=)\m/
deadbang