Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

no NVME support in 2018?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ozfer

no NVME support in 2018?

#1 Post by Ozfer »

So trying to install debian on on a third system now and this one has NVME SSD. Apparently the partitioner is unaware of NVME ssd and makes no space for the grub boot loader and never mentions it. All I know is the installers lets me progress completely through using the automatic partitioner and then grub fails to install.

I googled this (debian grub install fails) and it seems like a common problem asked numerous times on this forum, stack overflow, the mailing list, and beyond for this exact problem with hundreds of pages of stuff dating all the way from 2015-2018.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: no NVME support in 2018?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I think Debian stretch should be fine with nVME.

Did you try "manual partitioning" and was the disk recognised in that screen?

I always prefer to partition and format the drive before running the installer, try that.
deadbang

Ozfer

#3 Post by Ozfer »

Honestly I have tried manually partitioning but I have no idea what I am doing and the installer doesn't tell me. I have never had to manually create a partition for grub in the past EVER. I have an EFI partition I am not sure what more it wants.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Are you installing in EFI or BIOS/legacy mode ?
An EFI partition is needed only in EFI mode.
What is the exact and complete error message when GRUB fails to install ?
What are the messages displayed in the log console tty4 (Ctrl+Alt+F4) right after the error ?

Ozfer

#5 Post by Ozfer »

I am using EFI in normal mode. BIOS legacy is gone on all modern computer so I hope the installer will account for this. It literally says grub install failed with no more details.

I don't feel like reading through the 100+ page grub manual to figure out how to manually install grub. NMVE is a must since SATA is dead on all modern laptops and desktops.

I see this guide and it might work....
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ing-debian

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

I doubt NVME has anything to do with the GRUB installation failure.
You need to get more detailed information about the error.
Switch to tty4 which displays the installer log, or switch to tty2 or tty3 which contain a shell and examine the end of the installer log in /var/log.
Another way is to try to reproduce the issue : restart the installer in rescue mode, follow the steps, run a shell on the system root and run "grub-install". If the error is about efibootmgr or EFI boot variables, try running again grub-install with the option --removable.

Ozfer

#7 Post by Ozfer »

Is it possible to install refind from the installer? refind seems to have much better nvme efi support.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

AFAIK, refind is not part of the installer but it is available in stretch, so if you configured a mirror you can switch to an installer shell and try to install refind with

Code: Select all

apt-install refind