Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing debian without internet

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Iam1996

Installing debian without internet

#1 Post by Iam1996 »

Hello!

I have a problem. I have only internet from my phone via usb CABLE so I can't install updates. I'd like to install full debian from USB, so that USB tethering would work when I install it so I still have internet.

Please if you can help me, much thanks for your help :)

pawRoot

Re: Installing debian without internet

#2 Post by pawRoot »

I was using Android tethering option and installing Debian from minimal image, no problems at all.
Debian installer detects it automatically.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

For start, please tell us what install documentation you have read, if any ?

There is no reason you can not install using USB tethering , that is what I use , and am using as I type this, we have no cable, phone lines in this area.
You download a install ISO, put it on a a USB, or burn a CD/DVD (that is what I used, I do have a optical drive). Then start the install, be sure your phone/device is tethered and connected when you start the install.

Key words "How to install Debian" copy pasted into your favourite search engine will reveal plenty of documentation on this.
With absolutely no information on your hardware or anything, there is not much else to say.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

Iam1996 wrote:I have a problem. I have only internet from my phone via usb CABLE so I can't install updates. I'd like to install full debian from USB, so that USB tethering would work when I install it so I still have internet.
so your internet is slow. do you also have to pay for data transfered, or is it a so-called flatrate?
if you have a flatrate, i'd still recommend doing a full online update & upgrade.
if not, you can download debian images that contain a lot of software already.
but you can't really avoid upgrading every now and then, and maybe also needing software that is not on the dvd.