debian under wsl - yeah, it works (sort of)...

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

debian under wsl - yeah, it works (sort of)...

Postby wizard10000 » 2018-03-18 12:40

xpost from /r/debian:

Have 8" Cherry Trail tablet running Win10 Creator's Edition and decided I'd see what all the hoopla was about with WSL. My impressions:

Installed Debian from the Windows Store and immediately upgraded it to Unstable because Sid :)

Played with getting X running for a couple hours; gave up when it was No Longer Fun and because I didn't feel like working that hard; the easiest way I could figure out to run X applications would have involved installing an X server in Windows, and thanks but no thank you :)

Console applications appear to work well; systemd appears to not work so I purged it and installed sysv. To settle the debate once and for all, under WSL Debian defaults to sudo and root account logins are disabled. You could probably enable the root account by giving it a password but a root password's not even an option in a default install.

Networking works with no configurating, even wireless works; I believe through the same compatibility layer as I've never seen a Broadcom card work in Debian without doing at least something :)

So - it's actually kinda cool; Debian doesn't install a Linux kernel, depending instead on whatever compatibility layer Windows provides, which seems to work okay although I'd imagine it's a work in progress.

I did end up removing Debian (using the Windows uninstaller) after I got done playing with it as I really don't have a use case other than intellectual masturbation, but it was really cool. The only thing that turned me off was having to feed Windows a Microsoft account so the Windows Store would run and I could install Debian in the first place; that's really not so bad and I used control userpasswords2 to automagically log into my M$ account.

Anyway, it was fun - great to play with because if you completely screw it up you can uninstall and reinstall in about five minutes :)

edit: Pretty sure there was only one console available as X was looking for another one in order to start: setting display to 0:0 didn't help.

Kali, Ubuntu and two versions of SuSE are also available in the Windows Store but the note in the store says that Ubuntu is also console-only, so no advantage there to running Ubuntu at all. I didn't try SuSE because I'm allergic to rpm-based distributions :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Re: debian under wsl - yeah, it works (sort of)...

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-03-18 12:54

wizard10000 wrote:Played with getting X running for a couple hours; gave up when it was No Longer Fun and because I didn't feel like working that hard; the easiest way I could figure out to run X applications would have involved installing an X server in Windows, and thanks but no thank you :)

One of our forum members came up with an intriguing solution for that:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4659
Charlie don't hack
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: debian under wsl - yeah, it works (sort of)...

Postby wizard10000 » 2018-03-18 12:59

Interesting. If my little tablet had an SSD and > 2GB of RAM I might try a little harder - but I will say that even console was painfully slow on this tablet that has about as much horsepower as my phone :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Return to Installation