Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Step failed, need help.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
teakave

Step failed, need help.

#1 Post by teakave »

Just got back into Debian and installed 9.4, everything went smoothly until a step failed, "Select and Install software" I tried everything to get it fixed, went over countless forums but I found nothing that worked.

Segfault

Re: Step failed, need help.

#2 Post by Segfault »

Well, administering a computer is interaction between OS/software and you, the admin. In other words, if something does not work then you diagnose the problem and fix it. Since you have provided no details that's all I can say.

jibberjabber

#3 Post by jibberjabber »

One reason it would fail is if you have no internet connection. Another thing that is kind of odd, and I don't know why or how it would affect it, but before the "Select and Install software" step, there is also a option asking if you want to allow them to know what packages you select, I think they call it the "popcon",
https://popcon.debian.org/
A strange thing, in the past , when I was trying to install Debian, if I selected NO, and did not want to participate, the installation failed, at the "Select and Install software" step, so when I tried again, I selected YES,... and the installation proceeds smoothly. Don't ask me why it is like that, I don't know.
But on more then one occasion, the same thing occurred, and the same, when I selected YES for the popcon option, it went on smoothly and installed the packages I selected.
Some more and better details would help, IE, like exactly step by step, what you do in the install, and also specifically, which ISO / version of Debian you are trying to install, ? netinstall ?, DVD, or ????

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Are you trying to install using wi-fi as your Net connection? Since 99% of wi-fi hardware now needs non-free firmware, and even some of the wired NICs, you could try an ISO image that contains the firmware.
MX Linux packager and developer

acewiza

#5 Post by acewiza »

stevepusser wrote:Are you trying to install using wi-fi as your Net connection?
Good call. Not sure, but I believe that is probably the 1st place where install tries to get out to the network. Despite not knowing what happened during network detection, I'm willing to bet that is where the fault lies.
Last edited by acewiza on 2018-03-26 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Guessing can be fun indeed. Looking at logs is sooo boring, solution may come too fast.

Megaladon

#7 Post by Megaladon »

I have this same issue. Have been troubleshooting for 3 days so far but no results. Things I have tried

1. I have installed a number of different ISO files, but not have been able to install in virtualbox yet.
2. I have tried clicking both yes and no on do you want to participate in the survey, but either way it fails.
3. I tried different storage sizes when setting up the virtualbox, even up to 64 GB.

I do use a wifi connection, so maybe that's the issue, but I don't have an option for a wired connection currently.

I have begun to lose hope of ever being able to try Debian as I can't even get it to install.

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

Megaladon wrote:I have this same issue. Have been troubleshooting for 3 days so far but no results. Things I have tried
What same issue. We never heard what was the issue our OP had.
Megaladon wrote:1. I have installed a number of different ISO files, but not have been able to install in virtualbox yet.
You have installed but not been able to install? Confusing. Are you saying you installed successfully on bare metal and now you are trying to install in a virtual machine?
Megaladon wrote:I do use a wifi connection, so maybe that's the issue, but I don't have an option for a wired connection currently.
Why would you use a separate wireless dongle if your host machine already has internet connection? Or you have a problem with host and its wireless connection? :roll: Even more confusing.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Agreed, this really is a entirely different topic, but any way, if one wants to install Debian on a VM, and need or want to have a internet connection on the guest system that is on the VM , then they need to setup the Virtual Machine correctly so that it has a bridged net work, in this case, the OP should look at the Virtual Box documentation for details on how to do that.
I use QEMU, and all my VM's can connect, using wifi or cable, I can't help on explaining about Virtual Box, since I no longer use it, but I do remember not having any trouble finding the details on configuring the networks , when I did some basic searches on
" How to configure the networks on Virtual Box "

If the second OP, took the time to not only start their own topic, but include better details, and show a little about what they have actually done, some one, even me, might be more willing and able to give better details as well, in a nut shell, it is not a Debian issue, but a Virtual Box issue, and kind of out of scope for this forum.

Segfault

#10 Post by Segfault »

But then again, maybe the host has no internet connection at all and this is why Megaladon wants to use a dedicated wireless adapter? Or perhaps he wants to do some penetration testing and that's why he needs a wireless dongle?
Do they sell crystal balls somewhere for Debian members of support forum? Methinks I need at least two, one for everyday use and one spare.

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Do they sell crystal balls somewhere for Debian members of support forum?
I think Stevepusser has one or had one, I remember him mentioning something about it,
I don't know where he got it, but they do sell them. Problem is, not sure who they are. Maybe Steve will know.
I did a search and I found something, they do sell crystal balls, there are some listed , key words " Where can I buy a crystal ball to help solve mysterious problems" but I don't want to post a link to the actual sales site, it would be kind of like spam,... I could also ask my wife where she got hers. What I really want is a broom like she has, to fly around on at night, but she says that is top secret, and those are not for sale. :mrgreen:

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

The new psychic "Respect for Mental Privacy" regulations we signed prevent me from reading poster's minds or using any other metahuman abilities to find out what they've done, so I'm reduced to having to cross-examine OP's like an attorney facing a hostile witness. :D

In short, good solutions require good information about the problem.

No information from the poster equals no solutions. The math is simple.
MX Linux packager and developer

Segfault

#13 Post by Segfault »

I'm reduced to having to cross-examine OP's
Ahh, Linux support in medieval times was certainly easier, they were allowed to use thumbscrews back then. Not sure about waterboarding, can we do that?