Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Locked out

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Cmon Meow

Locked out

#1 Post by Cmon Meow »

I installed grub/core system without setting a root password as I didn't want to create a user, 1 forces the other.
I am stuck at login screen apparently with root disabled/passwordless, and no other users.

debiman

Re: Locked out

#2 Post by debiman »

Cmon, what exactly did you install and how?

Cmon Meow

#3 Post by Cmon Meow »

I used current stable netinstall, setup ext4 root partition, then went to install grub bootloader, that also installs core system.

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

you seem confused here.

Without base system/core components you have nothing, therefore they are required.

Cmon Meow

#5 Post by Cmon Meow »

I installed the core system, it boots into single user mode except I cannot login as root, and there are no users.

jibberjabber

#6 Post by jibberjabber »

Well, since you just installed, and have not even been able to login, there is nothing to lose, and try using some logic, when you install again. Also reading some of the installation documentation would be helpfull.
The logic part :
Cmon Meow » I didn't want to create a user, 1 forces the other.
I am stuck at login screen apparently with root disabled/passwordless, and no other users
This was very illogical. Root is a user, with no users, who will administer the system, and how ?
Install again, create a password for root so you will be able to login as root.
I don't believe you have to create any other user, but the normal method is to also create a user. In any event, after you have a system installed, and can login as root, you could delete any other users if you wish.
As for having root (root is a user as well) having root with no password is not a very good idea, but you can reset it, so there is no password needed, later.
First , do the installation in a normal way , as instructed in the documentation. Later, when you understand and know more about administering a Debian , (or any other) system, you can start making changes and customizing as needed and desired.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

Cmon Meow

#7 Post by Cmon Meow »

Root preexists, you don't create it, the illogical part is disabiling for not having a password when creating a password forces you to create another user "via installer".
once logged on a simple passwd fixes the passwordless issue, I never said I intend to leave root passwordless though its no ones business if I wanted to.
Doing the install the "normal way" trying to only install the base core system eg. not selecting a desktop autoinstalls gnome leaving you with 1599 or 1699 installed packages.
Thought I'd have to chroot a passwd, but I nano butchered my way in to Debian 4.9.82-1+deb9u3.

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

If you boot single user mode you are root.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

Cmon Meow wrote:Doing the install the "normal way" trying to only install the base core system eg. not selecting a desktop autoinstalls gnome leaving you with 1599 or 1699 installed packages.
Something here not so. If you install only the base system only basic packages are installed. Where can there be so many packages?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

jibberjabber

#10 Post by jibberjabber »

There is a lot that does not make sense here.
When I boot as single user, I don't even get a login prompt, I am root, and no need to login, as all ready stated:
Post by Segfault » 2018-03-28 21:30
If you boot single user mode you are root.
But , I did set a root pass word when I installed, that is a normal part of the installation process.
by None1975 » If you install only the base system only basic packages are installed. Where can there be so many packages?
Same here, al of the times I have used netinstall, and just wanted a base system, I did not select any Desktops or other packages, and that is what I got,
just base system, no DE, and no unwanted packages.
I still think if the OP just tries to install again, and pays more attention to what the instructions say, they might have better luck the second time.
HuangLao wrote:you seem confused here.

Without base system/core components you have nothing, therefore they are required.
I think this is the case.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

bw123

#11 Post by bw123 »

The person who started the thread never asked any questions. IMO, this is the kind of low quality thread that just makes the forum confusing to people who actually want help. People who don;t understand the installer should read the fine installation guide,
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
and after installation provide feedback through the installation-reports pkg.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 04.html.en
resigned by AI ChatGPT