Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Custom Debian Live USB

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bedtime

Custom Debian Live USB

#1 Post by bedtime »

Finally, I have succeeded in installing a custom live Debian usb. At the moment I have no harddrive, so I needed something that can work on a usb or in ram.

These are the instructions that I followed: https://willhaley.com/blog/custom-debia ... vironment/

I added several packages such as xorg, dbus, conkeror... to make it usable.

This works well, for the most part. It automatically logs 'user' into a windowlab session, and my email is setup and ready to go without intervention. Boot is faster than I've ever seen.

I post as I would like to know what these settings in /etc/fstab do:

Entire fstab file:

Code: Select all

# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
overlay / overlay rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
So, there is an overlay, and /tmp is running in ram. I get the latter; it's the former that I'm not so clear about.

Apparently the overlay is 'rw,' but it does not hold the information. So 'rw' means that / can be read and written within the overlay? Also, will the space on the usb eventually be filled up by these settings? If so, I will be looking for a way (perhaps by mounting a certain way) to stop the filling up of data.

Thanks. And if anybody is curious about any information regarding the setup, feel free to ask! :)

Here is some more info:

mount:

user@debian-live:~$ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1948016k,nr_inodes=487004,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=392112k,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on /lib/live/mount/medium type vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 on /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
tmpfs on /lib/live/mount/overlay type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=//filesystem.squashfs/,upperdir=/live/overlay//rw,workdir=/live/overlay//work)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=11327)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=392108k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
df:

user@debian-live:~$ df
Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev             1948016      0   1948016   0% /dev
tmpfs             392112   5676    386436   2% /run
/dev/sda1       15343968 366056  14977912   3% /lib/live/mount/medium
/dev/loop0        339584 339584         0 100% /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs
tmpfs            1960544      0   1960544   0% /lib/live/mount/overlay
overlay          1960544  29104   1931440   2% /
tmpfs            1960544  17004   1943540   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs               5120      4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            1960544      0   1960544   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs            1960544      8   1960536   1% /tmp
tmpfs             392108      4    392104   1% /run/user/1000

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Custom Debian Live USB

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

bedtime

Re: Custom Debian Live USB

#3 Post by bedtime »

Thank you for the link!

That was one of the first links that I looked up. I also checked out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tmpfs and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Tmpfs. Good links, but they didn't seem to have an example that was like mine with all of / being mounted.

I noticed that the overlay seems to go up in usage but never down. I used,

mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /
and it seems to at least get some of its memory back after the files are deleted (if they were made during the mount).

Anywho, so far so good. Just abit confusing the way overlays work.