Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New User and Installation Radeon Graphics Resolution

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Budgie

New User and Installation Radeon Graphics Resolution

#1 Post by Budgie »

I am running a brand new installation of Debian 9 on a machine with a built in graphics adapter.

Here is the result of running lspci:-

Code: Select all

alastair@x3400debian:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
15:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM] [1002:6779]
alastair@x3400debian:~$
My problem is that I can only get one resolution which is 800 x 600 which seems to be the default.
AFAIK I have the right non-free packages installed but how may I change the resolution please?

xrandr seems to tell me that the hardware info is not being picked up:-

Code: Select all

alastair@x3400debian:~$ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected primary 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x600       75.00* 
alastair@x3400debian:~$ 
Possible as I am working remotely through a kvm switch but I do not have this problem with another machine with the same setup but different OS.

bw123

Re: New User and Installation Radeon Graphics Resolution

#2 Post by bw123 »

I would probably start by looking up the specific model kvm with the word debian or xorg and see if there is a simple solution. If not, maybe you can supply the monitor info to the xsrver another way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#Monitor
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

It is also possible the AMD driver is not loaded for some reason and you are using fallback video driver.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

AMD graphics require the non-free firmware-amd-graphics package, which the normal Debian ISO does not install.

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware

Note that many find it easier to just download and install the firmware deb file manually with dpkg than to add the non-free repository, update, and install the package through the Net.
MX Linux packager and developer

Budgie

#5 Post by Budgie »

bw123 wrote:I would probably start by looking up the specific model kvm with the word debian or xorg and see if there is a simple solution. If not, maybe you can supply the monitor info to the xsrver another way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#Monitor
Hi and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it is not that simple because I have KVM and then switch for four machines. The other machines are working correctly so I am sure it is something in the way I have Debian set up. Since this is my first day with Debian I am still finding my way around.

Budgie

#6 Post by Budgie »

stevepusser wrote:AMD graphics require the non-free firmware-amd-graphics package, which the normal Debian ISO does not install.

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware

Note that many find it easier to just download and install the firmware deb file manually with dpkg than to add the non-free repository, update, and install the package through the Net.
Hi Steve and thanks for the reply. As I put in my post, I have the non-free stuff installed already but must have configuration wrong.

Budgie

#7 Post by Budgie »

Thanks to journalctl -b I found the problem. Although I have the right source repos the radeon graphics adapter I have requires 'firmware-amd-graphics' to be installed. Once done all is OK so will close this thread.