Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] [Jessie → Stretch Upgrade] Stuck upgrading Samba

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
littlebigman

[SOLVED] [Jessie → Stretch Upgrade] Stuck upgrading Samba

#1 Post by littlebigman »

Hello

I followed this tutorial to upgrade Debian from Jessie to Stretch:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade- ... -9-stretch

After running "apt-get dist-upgrade", the application got stuck at some point… until I figured it was because I have a cron job that puts the computer to sleep every day after performing a backup job :-/

Once I logged back on, the upgrade seems to have gone OK, expect for Samba:

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
[…]
Setting up samba (2:4.5.12+dfsg-2+deb9u2) ...
Samba is not being run as an AD Domain Controller, masking samba-ad-dc-service.
Please ignore the following error about deb-systemd-helper not finding samba-ad-dc-service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nmbd.service → /lib/systemd/system/nmbd.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/samba-ad-dc.service → /lib/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/smbd.service → /lib/systemd/system/smbd.service.
Job for samba-ad-dc.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status samba-ad-dc.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript samba-ad-dc, action "start" failed.
● samba-ad-dc.service - Samba AD Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-05-02 13:42:56 CEST; 34ms ago
     Docs: man:samba(8)
           man:samba(7)
           man:smb.conf(5)
  Process: 24994 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/samba $SAMBAOPTIONS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 24994 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Status: "daemon failed to start: Samba detected misconfigured 'server role' and exited. Check logs for details"
    Error: 22 (Invalid argument)

May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: Starting Samba AD Daemon...
May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: samba-ad-dc.service: Supervising process 24994 which is not our child. We'll most …it exits.
May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: samba-ad-dc.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba AD Daemon.
May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: samba-ad-dc.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 02 13:42:56 debian systemd[1]: samba-ad-dc.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u3) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 samba
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Any idea what I could try to finalize the upgrade?

Thank you.

--
Edit: Problem solved by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf with my own stuff, and rerunning the following commands

Code: Select all

# apt-get install samba
# dpkg --configure -a
# apt-get install samba