Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Duel Boot Problems

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
0x7DEB

Duel Boot Problems

#1 Post by 0x7DEB »

Hi there,

I'm having problems with duel boot, I even did what the Debian wiki said "Install Windows in GPT".

I installed windows 10 first in GPT then I duel booted Debian with 16GB swap space and rest for /ext4 (256 for Debian and 256 for windows) it auto partitioned for me. I have 512GB HDD. I can see in fdisk -l that windows is there but cant boot into it.

Then I rebooted and there was no grub or debian it went str8 to windows, so I ran a command

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\debian\grubx64.efi
as shown in some forums.

Now I cant boot into windows, only boots into debian, I can see grub but no option for windows 10, please help all my work is in windows :( I love Debian.

I have also tried

menuentry "WIndows" {
insmod chain
insmod ntfs
set root={hd0,1}
chainloader +1
}

There was also another way to do with UUID but not sure how that works and cant find correct UUID

Also btw secure boot and fast boot is off.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Duel Boot Problems

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

0x7DEB wrote:I have also tried

menuentry "WIndows" {
insmod chain
insmod ntfs
set root={hd0,1}
chainloader +1
}
^ That's for non-UEFI Windows systems, for UEFI systems point the chainloader to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi with the EFI system partition set as the root.

EDIT: and drop the insmod stuff, I never need those lines.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Duel Boot Problems

#3 Post by p.H »

You may need to adjust the partition numbers to match the EFI partition.
The proper menu entry should be added automatically by update-grub if os-prober is installed and not disabled /etc/default/grub.