Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

when Firefox package will be replaced with Waterfox?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
nitrofurano

when Firefox package will be replaced with Waterfox?

#1 Post by nitrofurano »

Sorry that i don’t know where to ask this question - since it’s about packages in the repository, i guess it’s the right place to ask...

Since that controversy about Firefox coming with DRM, and we all software-libre users are mostly very concerned about DRM-based abuses, and Debian seems to be focused on packaging GPL-compatible packages, i guess Firefox being in the Debian’s repository an issue that made a lot of Debian users (like me) very uncomfortable about

For example, at /etc/apt/preferences i simply have:

Code: Select all

Package: <firefox>
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1
for making sure that Firefox installation is blocked for me (it seems to work fine up to now....)

Meanwhile, i have seen that there are people concerned about Firefox’s source code cleaning and scrutiny, and starting fork projects like Waterfox

So, how soon are we going to see Waterfox replacing Firefox in the repository?

cronoik

Re: when Firefox package will be replaced with Waterfox?

#2 Post by cronoik »

nitrofurano wrote:So, how soon are we going to see Waterfox replacing Firefox in the repository?
Probably not because of that. Firefox is just offering an EME-API and that doesn't violates the debian requirements.
Please see also the explaination at: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=837091
Have a nice day!

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

"when" or "if"...

and why should it be replaced with waterfox, of all the half-baked alternatives?

it's notheing new that firefox is going down that road, and if debian is using it, means it uses in a way that still adheres to their requirements (free and open, social contract etc.).

no need to float your favorite browser.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

What controversy? FF doesn't ship with it; it asks you if it's OK to download and use DRM if you go to a site that wants it. Just say no if you don't want it. That's it.

Anyone that complains about that is just looking for ways to be offended, IMO.
MX Linux packager and developer