Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Root password rejected after installation.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
stf92

Root password rejected after installation.

#1 Post by stf92 »

Hi: I have just installed Debian Stretch on an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook, The installer gave me the option to let root to login. I chose it and wrote the password. But when, after the install was finished, I wanted to login as root, the password was rejected. Even a su - as regular user does not recognize the password. What am I to do?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Root password rejected after installation.

#2 Post by arochester »

Code: Select all

su
When you have finished being Root you can issue the command

exit
Logging in as Root is not a good idea.

stf92

#3 Post by stf92 »

But I did a

$ su -
and when I typed the password it was rejected.

roseway

#4 Post by roseway »

One possibility is that your keyboard setting during installation was different to the setting in the installed OS. If the password contains characters which are in different positions, that would explain your problem.
Eric

stf92

#5 Post by stf92 »

Well, I used the ampersand char, but I did not touch the keyboard setting. I'm quite sure. Plus: I ran the installer once again, again chose to let root to login but this time it did not ask for a password which is weird, isn't it?

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

yes.
i'm sure debian is broken, stfu92.

graphical login != text login. 'nuff said.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by NFT5 »

debiman wrote:i'm sure debian is broken, stfu92.
Cheeky bugger! :lol:
stf92 wrote: The installer gave me the option to let root to login. I chose it and wrote the password. But when, after the install was finished, I wanted to login as root, the password was rejected. Even a su - as regular user does not recognize the password. What am I to do?
Sometimes I think we over analyse the problem, which in this case sounds more like PEBKAC than anything else.

I've done 5 installations of Stretch in the last 2 weeks and in not one single instance was I asked, during the installation process, if I wanted the option to let root login. The installer certainly does ask for a root password, along with some warnings on password strength and the power of root. A user name and password is then sought.

Reading the above I feel the OP misunderstands the way that root and users should be used in Debian, or indeed, any Linux distro. This seems to be evidenced by his desire to login as root - something that is generally advised against. Why did his install not accept the root password? I'd suggest a typing error there, either when doing the installation or when attempting to login.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

NFT5 wrote:I've done 5 installations of Stretch in the last 2 weeks and in not one single instance was I asked, during the installation process, if I wanted the option to let root login.
I am sure the installer did ask, but you probably did not pay attention.
The installer screen states that if you leave the root password empty, then the root account is disabled and sudo is enabled for the first regular user.

stf92

#9 Post by stf92 »

I'll do what p.H says. Leave the box blank and try sudo. I now remember that was the only way to do anything as root when I installed another Linux distribution. By the way, I'm trying to download the first Stretch DVD iso image, debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso, from several of the mirrors listed by the Debian page and in all cases I get a 'Failed' message in the download manager. Can be they are out of service right now?

But tell me: what do I do with the sudo command when I am given the chance to use it? To modify the sudoers file? Directly to use the passwd command to give root a passwd?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

I would first set a root password.
Why would you want to modify the sudoers file ?

But you know you can set or change the root password without reinstalling, don't you ?

Does your download manager care to provide details about the failure ?

stf92

#11 Post by stf92 »

Well I chose not to let root to login and this happened: I made

sudo passwd

Here I was warn about the use of the sudo command and asked for my (user) passwd. Then I was asked for a Unix password. I changed root's password and then made a 'su -' succesfully. Next time I booted I could directly enter as root. The cause to work as root is I am doing heavy mainteinance work.

No, the download manager only notified 'Failed' some seconds after I retried. The same happened when I went to a coffee house with wi-fi. I think perhaps the ISP is responsible and, when doing normal work, as now the I am sending a post I just don't notice it.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

stf92 wrote:Leave the box blank and try sudo. I now remember that was the only way to do anything as root when I installed another Linux distribution.
no, no, no.
you mean superuser, not root.
elevated privileges etc. what sudo is there for. not the same as root.
By the way, I'm trying to download the first Stretch DVD iso image, debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso, from several of the mirrors listed by the Debian page and in all cases I get a 'Failed' message in the download manager. Can be they are out of service right now?
yes.
debian is broken AND their servers are down!

(scnr, snicker)

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Two ways Debian can grant you elevated privileges:
1. Becoming the Root by typing su and then your root password. You do this as a regular user every time you need to become the admin.
2. Using sudo while executing any command that requires elevated privileges. As I'm the only user and I hate typing "sudo" every time, I use the first option.

Both can be set right in the installer, but installer gives you choice: one or the other. Can't do both, at least not right away. You just have to read carefully.

arzgi

#14 Post by arzgi »

Wheelerof4te wrote: 2. Using sudo while executing any command that requires elevated privileges. As I'm the only user and I hate typing "sudo" every time, I use the first option.
Default is that sudo works for 5 minutes after password given. That is configurable option.