Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Laptop Install Command Line With Networking Only

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Pear

Re: Laptop Install Command Line With Networking Only

#21 Post by Pear »

bw123 wrote:I'm confused by the whole thread. You have spent days and days, at least one twelve hour day, trying to remaster an iso for what reason? You don;t have to recreate the iso to use firmware during install, and there's no reason to use preseed just to do one laptop? is there?
What are you talking about - It shouldn't be confusing, and I am using firmware.

The laptop has a 128G drive, so I'm wanting to install the core Mate desktop only.

It's how I install my desktop PC using Ubuntu (what I'm typing to you now from). After the mini install, my NIC is recognized, so I can just grab my install script from my server using wget and run it to install the core desktop (without all the extra stuff).. I prefer no extra stuff installed - for instance, I don't use any text editor in the repos, I use a paid Sublime Text editor. I don't use any movie player, I use my own custom built firefox and it plays local files just fine - etc..

I'm switching to Debian for the first time. I had been using Ubuntu since 2006 for home machines and my servers are all RHE - so I thought maybe there was something I was doing wrong with Debian or this laptop, and hence the post here - which confused you.

Really, I shouldn't need to explain why I'm wanting to do something. Your answer simply wasn't helpful.

I'll get it figured out - thanks to all that responded helpfully.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#22 Post by None1975 »

Pear wrote: I use my own custom built firefox and it plays local files just fine - etc..
Sounds interesting. Do you have github repo?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

#23 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I see you got it figured out, but I'll leave this for future reference:
Pear wrote:The laptop has a 128G drive, so I'm wanting to install the core Mate desktop only.
https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

Code: Select all

apt install mate-desktop-environment-core
Which gets you pure MATE without extra cruft and only a file manager+terminal.
Also, a fair warning about not mixing Ubuntu and Debian packages/repos. So your script shoult point to Debian mirrors, using Debian's package naming format.