Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Laptop Install Command Line With Networking Only

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Pear

Laptop Install Command Line With Networking Only

#1 Post by Pear »

I'd like to end up with a laptop with command line and networking only.

Simply using the netinst iso gives me an ACPI error (works if I add a desktop, but that's not what I want).

Can anyone help? I need detailed instruction.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Laptop Install Command Line With Networking Only

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

The only way to get CLI in Debian is to use a netinstall, and pick only standard system utilities during software selection (tasksel) phase.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

ACPI errors suggest your problem is, not with Linux, but with your BIOS.

1) What is the MAKE and MODEL of your laptop? Is there an updated BIOS available
2) What exactly are the errors?
3) WHEN do these errors occur? Can you just ignore them? Have you completed the netinstall?

Pear

#4 Post by Pear »

Thanks for responding..

..That's what I've tried - it gives an ACPI error, I never get to the command line.

If I add a desktop, it works.

I can add the desktop stuff I want in tasksel with a preseed - if I knew how - but I can't get the USB to work and there aren't any clear instructions on creating a modified (preseed.cfg) usb anywhere. Everything I'm trying is failing.

..So I'd like to just use netinst with standard utilities and end up at the command line (no desktop) - shouldn't that be possible without the ACPI error?

Pear

#5 Post by Pear »

arochester wrote:ACPI errors suggest your problem is, not with Linux, but with your BIOS.

1) What is the MAKE and MODEL of your laptop? Is there an updated BIOS available
2) What exactly are the errors?
3) WHEN do these errors occur? Can you just ignore them? Have you completed the netinstall?

It's an HP split 13.

I don't have the exact errors without going back through the install I know will fail...

..but the errors are something like:
ACPI error
No ramdisk found (?) Cannot load initrd.gz.

I can't ignore the error because it drops me to initramfs with a limited shell - so I can't wget etc..

-----
Edit to add - I've tried all BIOS settings. Straight netinst dd'd over to usb works on UEFI, it also works in legacy. Note that "works" means it loads - doing the install does not get me to a CLI.

Also I've tried with boot param acpi=off

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

Have you also tried

Code: Select all

noapic

Pear

#7 Post by Pear »

arochester wrote:
Have you also tried

noapic
Probably, sorry - I've been trying for days and days and days...

I'm going back through the install now to test - but now the dd isn't working on the USB...

awesome

Pear

#8 Post by Pear »

Got it to load the command line, wouldn't work with dd, had to use unetbootin.

At the command line, I have no networking.

The installing has connectivity (have to add firmware for wireless).

After install, no networking.

I added the wifi and pass to /etc/network/interfaces, then tried service networking restart..

..nothing.

Anyone know how to get networking up?

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Install the required firmware.

lspci -nn
Find the correct firmware package in the non-free repo for your card/chip, and install it with apt.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Pear wrote:wouldn't work with dd, had to use unetbootin
You should re-install immediately, unetbootin does *not* work with the current Debian ISO images, search bugs.debian.org if you doubt me.

A netinstall should connect wirelessly just fine without a GUI, that is how I usually install Debian.

I suspect your USB stick is bad — did you try copying the image back and doing a sha512sum comparison with the original file to eliminate this?

Have you added the non-free firmware to your installed system?

I don't think it's added by the installer if you decline to select a mirror but I may be imagining that.

Can we please see the output of

ip link
deadbang

Pear

#11 Post by Pear »

I had to add the wifi firmware for the installation to even start.

It connects during the install - after the install it does not connect.

The USB as hardware does not have an issue.

If you know how to make the USB without unetbootin, would you mind telling me? The tutorials I'm finding don't work for me... ..keep in mind I have to modify the image to add the firmware.

Pear

#12 Post by Pear »

Output of "ip link"

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP>mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1 link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00:00
2: wlp7s0: <BRODCAST,MULTICAST> MTU 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 0c:8b:fd:56:7d:3d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

"/etc/network/interface"

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# The loopback network interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
dns-nameservers 8.8.4.4
wpa-ssid XXXXXXXXXX
wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxx

Pear

#14 Post by Pear »

arochester wrote:Is this now relevant? https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/09/18 ... -in-linux/
Probably?

The only way I get to command line is with a unetbootin made USB. Which I was told to immediately reinstall - but they didn't say how to make the USB with wifi firmware added - so I'm back to unetbootin.

So... I can try your advice to work with the wifi - but it's a unetbootin install - so I'm hosed from the get-go.

For today's session - I've been at this since 5:30 am. It's now 4:53 pm - another 12 hours wasted - in a string of days... ..it shouldn't be this hard - there's something I'm missing and I figured someone here would know what that is..

Can any one tell me how to install a laptop with command line and networking only?

Surely I'm not the only one that's attempted it.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#15 Post by arochester »

Can any one tell me how to install a laptop with command line and networking only?
You could download the unofficial netinstall that already has the non-free firmware installed . Choose iso.cd. >>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... ree/amd64/

You can put it on a USB stick through a variety of means, depending where you are installing from. Remeber NOT to use unetbootin. I like Etcher, which is cross platform >>> https://etcher.io/

The dd command also works fine >>> https://www.cio.com/article/3096786/lin ... stros.html

Dai_trying

#16 Post by Dai_trying »

Have you tried installing from debian-9.4.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso and not installing the desktop, this should give you a basic installation (which can also be done offline) and you can sort out the wifi once installed (that way you only configure it once).

I just tested in a VM and you just need to uncheck dekstop utilities and xfce when asked what software to install. During the installation you will be asked about networking card, simply tell it not to use one for the time being as you can set it up after install.

I understand this might not be exactly what you are looking for but it might be a possible solution.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Pear wrote:If you know how to make the USB without unetbootin, would you mind telling me? The tutorials I'm finding don't work for me...
Your search-fu is poor :x

Always stick to the official Debian documentation, the installation guide is a good place to check so try a search for

debian stretch installation guide
Then go to section 4.3.1 and follow the instructions.
Pear wrote:Output of "ip link"

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP>mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1 link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00:00
2: wlp7s0: <BRODCAST,MULTICAST> MTU 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 0c:8b:fd:56:7d:3d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
"/etc/network/interface"

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# The loopback network interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
dns-nameservers 8.8.4.4
wpa-ssid XXXXXXXXXX
wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxx
^ You have a perfectly functional wireless interface but you have called it the wrong name in the interfaces file...
deadbang

bw123

#18 Post by bw123 »

Pear wrote:
arochester wrote:Is this now relevant? https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/09/18 ... -in-linux/
Probably?

The only way I get to command line is with a unetbootin made USB. Which I was told to immediately reinstall - but they didn't say how to make the USB with wifi firmware added - so I'm back to unetbootin.

So... I can try your advice to work with the wifi - but it's a unetbootin install - so I'm hosed from the get-go.

For today's session - I've been at this since 5:30 am. It's now 4:53 pm - another 12 hours wasted - in a string of days... ..it shouldn't be this hard - there's something I'm missing and I figured someone here would know what that is..

Surely I'm not the only one that's attempted it.
You missed the part about reading the documentation. Debian installer won't setup wifi in ifup. You do that yourself, not that hard there are thousands of inernet postss about it.

Sounds like your the kind of dad that puts the bicycle together before reading the instructions? My dad was like that, made some weird bicycles.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Pear

#19 Post by Pear »

Some good responses and things to try..

New question:

I know the packages I'm wanting to install..

I tried to add using d-i but it didn't work after repacking as an iso. I created a file called "preseed.cfg" and put it in the root of the iso, when that didn't work I added it to "install/" and "install.amd64/" - neither of those worked either - so I don't know if the problem is the preseed file or the rolled up iso.

Here is the d-i line:

d-i preseed/late_command string apt-install xorg lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter mate-desktop-environment-core in-target;
Seems like I should be able to install the base system, then have late commands to tasksel to install what I'm needing (packages are in repositories) - because I have both a connection and a target.

I got the info from the Debian docs - but there's something I'm missing - for instance, I only found one place that told me where to put the preseed file; "in root", when that doesn't work, I have to try in another location, etc.. etc.. I don't know if it's the file, the line, the location or the roll-up - which makes it hard to troubleshoot the issue.

Does anyone know a working method to add a d-i preseed to just tell the installer what I'm looking for? How the line should be, where to put it and how to roll it back into an iso?

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

I'm confused by the whole thread. You have spent days and days, at least one twelve hour day, trying to remaster an iso for what reason? You don;t have to recreate the iso to use firmware during install, and there's no reason to use preseed just to do one laptop? is there?
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Always stick to the official Debian documentation, the installation guide is a good place to check so try a search for

debian stretch installation guide
found this searching: debian "hp split"
http://www.linlap.com/hp_split_13t-m100_x2_pc
resigned by AI ChatGPT