Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Testing Kernel and LVM

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jackdaws

Testing Kernel and LVM

#1 Post by jackdaws »

I've been trying for the last few weeks to install testing, and with two separate iso downloads (over two weeks) I get the same message: "the current kernel doesn't support the Logical Volume Manager". Is this correct? If so how would I install using logical volumes on an already crowded (with primary volumes) disk?
Perfectionism is an imperfection

GarryRicketson

Re: Testing Kernel and LVM

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

There was another one recently, with problems on Debian testing install,
Cannot partition hard drive during installation
It was saying no LVM module,...
I will suggest the same, install the current stable , Debian Stretch, and see if the same still occurs.
Or wait and see if and when the Debian testing is fixed, it is "testing", so in a few days, or next week the problem may not be there any more.

jackdaws

#3 Post by jackdaws »

Thanks for the quick reply Garry. I've been using stable for some time, and decided to see how testing was doing. However, with very limited online bandwidth and a pretty full distro installed, I thought it best to just start afresh with testing and build again (at night - free bandwidth) rather than do a dist upgrade. Guess what. Wrong move. I won't be installing stable again, though. I might just have to wait for LVM to move into testing, unless using a net-install of testing would solve the problem....?

Other than that, any idea what the issue is, and do you think I should report a bug?
Perfectionism is an imperfection

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

No I have no idea as to what the issue is, I do not use Debian testing,
probably you should report it, I think that is pretty much what Debian testing
is for, and when users encounter problems, to submit reports, etc. That way the developers know about problems, that occur, maybe it only happens on cetain types of hardware, and on the hardware they (the developers) use, it has not occurred, etc...
==== edit ===Just a thought:
I get the same message: "the current kernel doesn't support the Logical Volume Manager"
Apparently, if that is the exact error message, "current kernal", so maybe there is another kernal you could try using, but you would have to modify the install disk/image , to try to install it,... all of which is way above my limited skills, maybe someone else that knows more will have some ideas,
You could also search the debian testing bug reports to see if it has not all ready been reported.

FateRover

#5 Post by FateRover »

same here. stable install is ok while tesing lvm problem

jlw

#6 Post by jlw »

The last working install occurred 18 Jun 18 both amd64 & i386 weekly testing. You might try the 18 Jun installer or earlier or the archives.
As mentioned above you can then apt-get update & upgrade. I found netinst was similarly affected.
There was also a recent change with desktop xfce. If you are an xfce user you can use "Help, F8, and install desktop=xfce" during the installer startup.
The error message is "This kernel does not support lvm, etc.". On two different machines, amd64 and Intel.
Last I checked there was no bug reported.