Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tried to install debian on 2nd drive; now malfunctioning

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
foolioskie

Tried to install debian on 2nd drive; now malfunctioning

#1 Post by foolioskie »

I wanted to try Linux on my second SSD, so I downloaded the net install for debian. It would not connect to the DHCP, so I tried the full disk install. I used Rufus and UNetbootin to make an installation disk on a USB. When booting from the USB, it tried and failed to connect to the DHCP again, so I continued without it. When I got to the screen for partitioning drives, my 2 SSDs were not visible. There was only the USB. This was my main problem with Debian installation and I should have looked for help at this point.

Next, I launched the Debian installation disk from my main SSD. It started to setup a dual boot from the SSD, so I cancelled. I wiped my second drive; it has 100% unallocated memory according to disk management. I tried booting from the USB again and had the same result. At this point my PC has been turned off and on a bunch of times. A couple times it shutoff automatically during booting.

At this moment, disk management doesn't see my main SSD(960 Evo NVMe SSD), but it is seen in BIOS. Also, my second SSD(850 Evo SSD) will not hold a windows install. It goes into a startup repair loop.

So much stress from what seemed like a simple procedure. If anyone knows what I have done to my main SSD, I would appreciate some advice. Also, what steps should I have taken to prepare my second SSD for Debian?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Tried to install debian on 2nd drive; now malfunctioning

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

foolioskie wrote:I used Rufus and UNetbootin to make an installation disk on a USB.
Why did you do that?

Rufus only works conditionally and Unetbootin does not work at all with Debian ISO images.

Why did you not check the official documentation?

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
At this moment, disk management doesn't see my main SSD(960 Evo NVMe SSD), but it is seen in BIOS.
I have no idea what you mean by "disk management" but if you could please load up a "live" ISO image (burnt using `cp` or `dd` rather than the broken utilities you tried earlier) and post the full output of

Code: Select all

# parted --list
that would be just fantastic...
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

At this moment, disk management doesn't see my main SSD(960 Evo NVMe SSD), but it is seen in BIOS. Also, my second SSD(850 Evo SSD) will not hold a windows install. It goes into a startup repair loop.
Well, the first thing you should have done is make a good back up of the working system, I guess the "main SSD" or first SSD, as far as :
will not hold a windows install.
goes, ... well, if you need help installing windows, you would be better off asking them at microsft about that.
To install Debian, please follow the advice Head_On_a_Stick gives, and show us the output of the command he gave.

foolioskie

#4 Post by foolioskie »

Thanks guys.

I have win10 on my #1 SSD and debian on my #2 SSD right now. I only had 1 drive + USB connected for each installation. I'm hoping they both can be connected and I can launch from BIOS whenever I want to use debian. Would you expect any problems when I connect them both and turn on the PC?

I don't understand how to run the commands

CODE: SELECT ALL
# parted --list

Should this be ran in the terminal? Exactly as it is written? I didn't get any output doing that.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by 4D696B65 »

foolioskie wrote: # parted --list
foolioskie wrote:Should this be ran in the terminal?
yes
foolioskie wrote: Exactly as it is written?
no
foolioskie wrote: I didn't get any output doing that.
# means run as root, the command is

Code: Select all

parted --list