Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie issues

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Vector

Newbie issues

#1 Post by Vector »

Greetings,

I'm new to Linux/Debian, and need some help. I tested my system prior to install with Kanotix and Ubuntu live CD's. Everything worked fine, no problems.

I did a netinstall with Debian, the system is stable, but I have a few issues.
After installing zip, I'm unable to use it. I get a error that says "zip not installed on this path."

Kooka won't recognize my scanner, it did fine on the live CD's. My USB ports seem not to be working, perhaps a permissions issue?

Same with my printer, it's USB, worked fine before, but no luck now.

Finally, I've tried to install Java runtime, but can't seem to get it to work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

To get Java up & running, add the following line to etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ sarge non-free
Then apt-get update && apt-get install j2re1.4

Vector> I get a error that says "zip not installed on this path."

Please post the appropriate line from /etc/fstab and tell us what command you are using to try to access the zip drive. How is your zip drive connected to your computer?

jobezone

Re: Newbie issues

#3 Post by jobezone »

Vector wrote: Kooka won't recognize my scanner, it did fine on the live CD's. My USB ports seem not to be working, perhaps a permissions issue?
Run kooka as root and see if it recognizes your scanner. Also, have you installed the "libsane" package? This program is what makes scanning in gnu/linux possible. Search and install libsane, libsane-extras and sane-utils . Use the graphical Synaptic package panager (you may have to install it first using one of the following methods), or aptitude by running as root:
aptitude install <packages>
or use apt-get by doing:
apt-get install <packages>
Same with my printer, it's USB, worked fine before, but no luck now.
For this one you need "cups". Search and install it:) And configure it using KDE or Gnome Printer tools.

The Live CD you were using probably had all that installed by default.
Tell me how it works after doing this.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Vector

Thanks

#4 Post by Vector »

Guys,

Thanks so much for your help. Java works perfectly now.

However, Kooka is still an issue. I installed the programs recomended, it works fine in root, but when I'm signed in under my username, it seems to recognize the scanner, but when I click on "Preview" or "Final Scan" it locks up.

I've installed cups, but still having trouble installing my printer.

The zip I was referring to was the program, not a zip drive. I have zip files that I want to open, but after installing zip, I'm still unable. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Vector

Vector

Thanks part 2

#5 Post by Vector »

If this helps, when I'm signed in as a user, my system won't recongnize my USB drive when I plug it in either, the live CD's had no problem with this. Thanks.

Harold

#6 Post by Harold »

Vector> The zip I was referring to was the program, not a zip drive. I have zip files that I want to open, but after installing zip, I'm still unable.

Ah, I understand now. In Debian (actually, in all of Linux-land, I believe), zip and unzip are two different packages. Do apt-get install unzip.

jobezone

Re: Thanks

#7 Post by jobezone »

Vector wrote: However, Kooka is still an issue. I installed the programs recomended, it works fine in root, but when I'm signed in under my username, it seems to recognize the scanner, but when I click on "Preview" or "Final Scan" it locks up.
Is your user in the scanner group? You can edit /etc/group and add your username in front of the scanner group, or use the graphical configuration tools KDE and Gnome have (In gnome it's in the Desktop->Administration menu, or you can launch users-admin).
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Harold

#8 Post by Harold »

Did the Debian installer give you a 2.4 kernel or a 2.6 kernel? (uname -a)

Vector

Newbie issues cont

#9 Post by Vector »

Harold,

I was given 2.4, but then later installed the 2.6 kernel. The unzip program works great. My current issues are:

Kooka will not work under my username. I added my user to every group available, still no luck.

I installed all of the additional codecs and programs as suggested by Machiner on the Madcarters website to be able to play DVD's. Now when I open Totem and try to play a movie, my entire system locks up and goes to a blue screen with streaks down it.

My USB ports don't seem to work. I plug in my USB stick, and nothing happens. This worked fine with the live CD (Kanotix).

I want to be able to run two monitors off of my laptop like I can in Windows. By that I mean, extend my desktop onto another monitor so I can have different windows on different monitors.

I'm not a programmer, and want to switch, but need help.

Thanks,

Ed

Harold

#10 Post by Harold »

Sayeth Pogo: We are surrounded by an insurmountable opportunity! :-)

Ok, the printer is a USB device. Is the scanner also a USB device? What other USB devices do you have? What USB devices work correctly for users? What USB devices work correctly for root? Are the packages usbutils, usbmgr, usbmount and usbview installed? If not, install, do dpkg -L packagename [| less] to determine what files they installed in /bin/ and /sbin/. Read man filename. Use those applications. For those packages already installed, do dpkg-reconfigure packagename. Try a different (lighter) scanner interface, such as sane or xsane. Experiment! Don't worry about breaking anything, because it's already broken. :-)

Heroes, heroes, husky men of war,
Sons of all the heroes, of the war before.
We're all heroes up to our ear o's
You ask questions
We make suggestions
That's what we're heroes for.

Vector

Newbie...

#11 Post by Vector »

Harold,

I did as you suggested, but still can't get Xsane or Kooka to work under my username. The USB ports don't seem to work. I know it must be a permissions issue, but I have given my user all of the permissions available. I'm also confused, I'm trying to add a picture that I downloaded to my wallpaper folder, and it won't let me.

Just my unfamiliarity with Linux, any help you could offer would be great.

Thanks,

Ed