Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB /boot on UEFI (Thinkpad T470 2018 with Win10)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rmdca

USB /boot on UEFI (Thinkpad T470 2018 with Win10)

#1 Post by rmdca »

Hey Guys,

I would appreciate if you can help me around this "wall" I hit:

I am familiar with installing Debian, and I've been doing so on some laptops, usually with an encrypted partition + LVM on the disk and a USB drive with the /boot partition to serve as key and avoid leaving the encryption key on the unencrypted boot partition.

I got this brand new 2018 Thinkpad T470, with Win10 installed which I need to keep for work. I hacked to get admin rights and shrinked a 100 GB space which I wanted to used as /root using a 8GB USB as /boot.

I'am using the Debian testing + non-free torrent for quick offline install.
I don't install grub on MBR, just direct it to the /dev/sdX1 partition of the USB.

However the USB "key" doesn't work well with UEFI.
If formatted as MBR + ext2/ext4, it gets recognized as the laptop boots mas doesn't launch Debian (kept it unencrypted to simplify).
If formatted as GPT, is not recognized at all. Tried several options: GPT + EFI, GPT + Linux filesystem, legacy boot flag on and off, etc

Before you ask, yes, I've went through ALL the UEFI BIOS options:
Secure boot is off, Legacy boot is enabled, boot order is ok, only left SGX on, because I don't want to try my luck for now.

Anyone ran into the same issue?
I already did a lot of installs and ran out of options to try.

Much obliged

rmdca

Re: USB /boot on UEFI (Thinkpad T470 2018 with Win10)

#3 Post by rmdca »

To anyone that reads this, I found the solution:

The bootloader grub was not launching, the usb was not the issue.

So:
1. enter rescue mode on the installation
2. when the install asks, give it your /root location to mount it, enter the crypto key if that is the case, and also mount the /boot partition (usb)
3. Reinstall bootloader grub to the /boot -> enter manually: /dev/sdX (X=a,b,c... your drive letter)

The USB /boot is formatted as MBR+ext4(linux filesystem) with bootable flag on.
If other computer is available, use a live Kali distro and gnome disks to check and edit the usb partition.

If it fails to reinstall grub, repeat the process, I had two fails myself, but I could be doing something wrong.