Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I install Nvidia, purge and reinstall?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hopefulp

How can I install Nvidia, purge and reinstall?

#1 Post by hopefulp »

I am at the brink of reinstalling debian stretch again.
debian version: 9.5
NVIDIA: GTX 1060
kernel: 4.9.0-7-amd64

1. After installing Debian stretch, I have installed nvidia-driver (GTX 1060) following http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers] But after rebooting the any window is not opening except terminal. I think the linked website is not perfect.

Following the youtube instructionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RJzZxQ62U, some extra works are needed. Editing of xorg is one missing job. After installation of nvidia-driver, there was not xorg file. I might have succeeded if I have tried the remaining jobs. But I tried to purge nvidia-driver and reinstall.

2. during purge I followed https://askubuntu.com/questions/206283/ ... completely. remove --purge nvidia-*, install task-desktop instead of ubuntu-desktop, and tee nouveau.

3. after rebooting, I tried to install following the above url again, but it makes some problems. Now how can I fix it? It shows "Dependencies" and "Recommends". What am I supposed to do through this message?

$sudo apt install nvidia-driver
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver : Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 384.130-1) but it is not going to be installed or
nvidia-driver-libs-nonglvnd (= 384.130-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

$sudo apt install nvidia-driver-libs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-libs : Depends: nvidia-egl-icd (= 384.130-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: nvidia-driver-libs-i386
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

arzgi

Re: How can I install Nvidia, purge and reinstall?

#2 Post by arzgi »

Many, including me, have succesfully installed nvidia driver following that Debian wiki. So who would you blame?

Wiki says xorg.conf is not needed in most cases, but if you do:

Code: Select all

aptitude search nvidia
, you see there is for example
  • p xserver-xorg-video-nvidia - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
You built the package, then purged, and try to install again.

Start again, follow wiki closely.

And there is always option to use nouveau, this is not joke. I switched to it a few years ago, and I have quite modern Nvidia GTX gpu on my desktop pc. I can view full screen live video, and even play games sometimes.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

arzgi wrote:And there is always option to use nouveau, this is not joke.
+1 for nouveau. I've always used it only. Works stably and without blame.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

hopefulp

#4 Post by hopefulp »

It looks there is no way to fix the above problem.
I installed everything again, and it works at this time.

I just installed Debian, fixed up sources.list and followed the above youtube and debian wiki in combined method.
At first, I installed several package such as vlc, smplayer, libavcodec-extra ... as in youtube ( previously I failed to install vlc and I am not sure this would make a problem) then follow wiki to install nvidia-detect, header, nvidia-driver using backports. And rebooting, it works. Any window is open well.

I didnot know that xorg is not necessary, I might read it somewhere else. Thank you.
And I am not sure nouveau is working for 4K monitor. When I installed debian if nouveau is automatically installed, it is not good for 4K monitor. Otherwise, if I should install nouveau differently, I can not check it at the moment.
After first installation of Debian, the font is very big and after installation of nvidia-driver, the graphic is very good, though the font is so small. Anyway thank you for your concern.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

hopefulp wrote:It looks there is no way to fix the above problem.
I installed everything again, and it works at this time.

I just installed Debian, fixed up sources.list and followed the above youtube and debian wiki in combined method.
At first, I installed several package such as vlc, smplayer, libavcodec-extra ... as in youtube ( previously I failed to install vlc and I am not sure this would make a problem) then follow wiki to install nvidia-detect, header, nvidia-driver using backports. And rebooting, it works. Any window is open well.

I didnot know that xorg is not necessary, I might read it somewhere else. Thank you.
And I am not sure nouveau is working for 4K monitor. When I installed debian if nouveau is automatically installed, it is not good for 4K monitor. Otherwise, if I should install nouveau differently, I can not check it at the moment.
After first installation of Debian, the font is very big and after installation of nvidia-driver, the graphic is very good, though the font is so small. Anyway thank you for your concern.
Good you got it solved. Many of the propblems, font size etz. are independent of display driver. Take your time and study, how to fix them, if any need.

Nouveau at 4k, haven't tried, so can't say anything about it. I guess net search would help in this case, and in many others.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

rjames wrote:I am not a pro but still learning maybe this can help you a bit!

aptitude purge ~nnvidia
And run the nvidia installer file again with --uninstall as an argument (I think that's how it still work anyway). Then reboot. That should get rid of the "leftovers".

nForce 630a is supported by the nouveau open source driver, but I have a feeling that you'll have better luck with the proprietary driver. The version available in the squeeze repos should support your graphics chip, so I see no reason for you to download and install the one from Nvidia.

The wiki is a bit out of date, but I think if you'd read it properly you would have come out of it with an installed driver.

To get what you want:

aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
Create an xorg.conf with the following:

Section "Module"
    Load        "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Video Card"
    Driver              "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection
(compiz requires the composite extension http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz)

Blacklist nouveau

echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Reboot the system (just to be sure everything is in order). <snip spam links>
@rjames - sorry but most of what you wrote is outdated, unnecessary or incorrect.
I don't see what nForce 630a has to do with this, it's a 12 year old mobo chipset. OP is asking about a GTX1060.
The regular way is to install the nvidia-driver package along with a build environment including dkms and headers packages. xorg.conf is usually not needed and the install routine takes care of nouveau blacklist for you.
The problem appears to be a missing dependency - nvidia-egl-icd . This shows as being available in the repo so I'm not sure what the issue is. https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ia-egl-icd
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

sunrat wrote:@rjames - sorry but most of what you wrote is outdated, unnecessary or incorrect
Yep - the spambot canned answer db needs updating ... ;)
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...