Cant install Debian in a laptop

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 05:34

Hi,
First, i want excuse me for the bad english. Im not speak it natively, but, i will try it the better that i can.
Now, I bought a laptop HP 250 G6 a few days ago and i want install Debian in dual boot with Windows 10 (i know, its a really sh*t).
The problem is that, the installation fails when the grub begins to install. The message says: "Executing grub-installer dummy failed"
i can continue the installation without the grub, but that makes imposible to select which O.S i will use...
I searched in google, wiki of debian, too many sites ...but nothing. Some people had a same problem but the fix its incongruent and i dont want destroy my computer.

Thanks for the patience and expect that someone can help me.
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Bloom » 2018-07-26 06:42

You can't. Debian doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot and Windows 10 requires it.
If you want a dual boot between Win10 and Linux, choose a Linux who's maker has paid Microsoft a large sum of money for a boot key.
There are three Linux production companies who have paid:
1. Canonical (Ubuntu)
2. Red Hat
3. SuSE
The people behind Debian have stipulated that they will never pay Microsoft or any one else for a key in order to boot Debian. I can't blame them.

Another solution would be to reinstall Windows 10 with Secure Boot off. Then you can install Debian in dual boot. For that to work, your laptop must have the option to disable Secure Boot.
There a lot of desktop pcs and laptops out there with Windows 10 on them and a locked Secure Boot which can't be disabled. On such a computer, you cannot boot Debian.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-07-26 07:10

On my Laptop (Dell Inspiron) I could simply disable secure boot (in UEFI settings) and then install Debian (and other Linuxes) without issue, Windows 10 still functioned fine for me and I would have thought it should for you too. Just make sure you have a backup first of all your data so if anything bad happens you can always restore it.
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 548
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Bloom » 2018-07-26 07:25

That is certainly not the norm. If Secure Boot is on with an installed and working Windows 10, turning it off (if at all possible) will cause Windows 10 to stop booting in my experience. Perhaps Dell installed Windows 10 with Secure Boot off on your system?
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby cds60601 » 2018-07-26 14:58

Another option albeit not a convenient one, simply get another internal drive for your lappy, remove your W10 drive and install the new.
Again, not convenient but if there is no other way and you simply must keep the W10 install, this "could" be somewhat painful option to swap out drives as needed.

Again, not advisable, but it is an option - lol (unless of course, you can boot off a USB drive then simply install Debian on the USB drive and dual boot that way).

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.
Server: Debian 9 (Stretch) Workstation: Archlinux
User avatar
cds60601
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 2017-11-25 05:58

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-07-26 15:21

The Debian repositories now contain all of the software needed to create and sign a Secure Boot key:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sbsigntool

Guide here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ml#signing
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 7998
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 15:31

Bloom wrote:You can't. Debian doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot and Windows 10 requires it.
If you want a dual boot between Win10 and Linux, choose a Linux who's maker has paid Microsoft a large sum of money for a boot key.
There are three Linux production companies who have paid:
1. Canonical (Ubuntu)
2. Red Hat
3. SuSE
The people behind Debian have stipulated that they will never pay Microsoft or any one else for a key in order to boot Debian. I can't blame them.

Another solution would be to reinstall Windows 10 with Secure Boot off. Then you can install Debian in dual boot. For that to work, your laptop must have the option to disable Secure Boot.
There a lot of desktop pcs and laptops out there with Windows 10 on them and a locked Secure Boot which can't be disabled. On such a computer, you cannot boot Debian.


Wow... i didnt know that.
I did desactivate the secure boot after the installation of Debian. But the problem persists.
The another solution would be try to install any of the O.S that you quote(Ubuntu, RedHat or SuSE)?
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 15:34

cds60601 wrote:Another option albeit not a convenient one, simply get another internal drive for your lappy, remove your W10 drive and install the new.
Again, not convenient but if there is no other way and you simply must keep the W10 install, this "could" be somewhat painful option to swap out drives as needed.

Again, not advisable, but it is an option - lol (unless of course, you can boot off a USB drive then simply install Debian on the USB drive and dual boot that way).

Cheers
Chris


Good idea, but it is not viable to do it. I should change the disk every time I want to choose an operating system.
likewise, thank you
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 15:40

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The Debian repositories now contain all of the software needed to create and sign a Secure Boot key:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sbsigntool

Guide here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ml#signing

im seeing it,but its a little lot harder that i can do. :(
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 15:45

A question for anyone... if i delete the windows 10 of my drive and i try install debian first, "teoretically" this may works?
I want to take advantage of the fact that the system is still without information, since it is new
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby stevepusser » 2018-07-26 16:11

Bloom wrote:That is certainly not the norm. If Secure Boot is on with an installed and working Windows 10, turning it off (if at all possible) will cause Windows 10 to stop booting in my experience. Perhaps Dell installed Windows 10 with Secure Boot off on your system?


That was certainly not the case in the three laptops I have owned with UEFI and Secure Boot. I could disable Secure Boot and still dual boot Windows and Linux, no reinstall of Win was required, though sometimes I had to monkey around with more UEFI settings and add the Linux UEFI file to the approved boot choices.

Do you have an option to disable Secure Boot and still keep the UEFI boot instead of legacy?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 9994
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Bloom » 2018-07-26 18:11

Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby Danielsan » 2018-07-26 18:30

From my experience the issue is that you can't have a dual boot with W10 and secure boot deactivated because every time you try to run W10 it will enable secure boot without your authorization. The rapid solution is to get rid off of W10 for ever, however I would create a copy of your hard drive with clonezilla just in case you have to restore your current condition.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 487
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 20:17

Bloom wrote:Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.


Yes, i disabled the Secure Boot, but the installation dont works. What i can do ?
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

Postby zeroot » 2018-07-26 20:26

Danielsan wrote:From my experience the issue is that you can't have a dual boot with W10 and secure boot deactivated because every time you try to run W10 it will enable secure boot without your authorization. The rapid solution is to get rid off of W10 for ever, however I would create a copy of your hard drive with clonezilla just in case you have to restore your current condition.


The secure boot dont activate every time i run w10. If i clean my disk and delete win10, i should install Debian?
zeroot
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-07-26 05:20

Next

Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable