Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cant install Debian in a laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
zeroot

Cant install Debian in a laptop

#1 Post by zeroot »

Hi,
First, i want excuse me for the bad english. Im not speak it natively, but, i will try it the better that i can.
Now, I bought a laptop HP 250 G6 a few days ago and i want install Debian in dual boot with Windows 10 (i know, its a really sh*t).
The problem is that, the installation fails when the grub begins to install. The message says: "Executing grub-installer dummy failed"
i can continue the installation without the grub, but that makes imposible to select which O.S i will use...
I searched in google, wiki of debian, too many sites ...but nothing. Some people had a same problem but the fix its incongruent and i dont want destroy my computer.

Thanks for the patience and expect that someone can help me.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

#2 Post by Bloom »

You can't. Debian doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot and Windows 10 requires it.
If you want a dual boot between Win10 and Linux, choose a Linux who's maker has paid Microsoft a large sum of money for a boot key.
There are three Linux production companies who have paid:
1. Canonical (Ubuntu)
2. Red Hat
3. SuSE
The people behind Debian have stipulated that they will never pay Microsoft or any one else for a key in order to boot Debian. I can't blame them.

Another solution would be to reinstall Windows 10 with Secure Boot off. Then you can install Debian in dual boot. For that to work, your laptop must have the option to disable Secure Boot.
There a lot of desktop pcs and laptops out there with Windows 10 on them and a locked Secure Boot which can't be disabled. On such a computer, you cannot boot Debian.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

On my Laptop (Dell Inspiron) I could simply disable secure boot (in UEFI settings) and then install Debian (and other Linuxes) without issue, Windows 10 still functioned fine for me and I would have thought it should for you too. Just make sure you have a backup first of all your data so if anything bad happens you can always restore it.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#4 Post by Bloom »

That is certainly not the norm. If Secure Boot is on with an installed and working Windows 10, turning it off (if at all possible) will cause Windows 10 to stop booting in my experience. Perhaps Dell installed Windows 10 with Secure Boot off on your system?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

Another option albeit not a convenient one, simply get another internal drive for your lappy, remove your W10 drive and install the new.
Again, not convenient but if there is no other way and you simply must keep the W10 install, this "could" be somewhat painful option to swap out drives as needed.

Again, not advisable, but it is an option - lol (unless of course, you can boot off a USB drive then simply install Debian on the USB drive and dual boot that way).

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The Debian repositories now contain all of the software needed to create and sign a Secure Boot key:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sbsigntool

Guide here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ml#signing
deadbang

zeroot

#7 Post by zeroot »

Bloom wrote:You can't. Debian doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot and Windows 10 requires it.
If you want a dual boot between Win10 and Linux, choose a Linux who's maker has paid Microsoft a large sum of money for a boot key.
There are three Linux production companies who have paid:
1. Canonical (Ubuntu)
2. Red Hat
3. SuSE
The people behind Debian have stipulated that they will never pay Microsoft or any one else for a key in order to boot Debian. I can't blame them.

Another solution would be to reinstall Windows 10 with Secure Boot off. Then you can install Debian in dual boot. For that to work, your laptop must have the option to disable Secure Boot.
There a lot of desktop pcs and laptops out there with Windows 10 on them and a locked Secure Boot which can't be disabled. On such a computer, you cannot boot Debian.
Wow... i didnt know that.
I did desactivate the secure boot after the installation of Debian. But the problem persists.
The another solution would be try to install any of the O.S that you quote(Ubuntu, RedHat or SuSE)?

zeroot

#8 Post by zeroot »

cds60601 wrote:Another option albeit not a convenient one, simply get another internal drive for your lappy, remove your W10 drive and install the new.
Again, not convenient but if there is no other way and you simply must keep the W10 install, this "could" be somewhat painful option to swap out drives as needed.

Again, not advisable, but it is an option - lol (unless of course, you can boot off a USB drive then simply install Debian on the USB drive and dual boot that way).

Cheers
Chris
Good idea, but it is not viable to do it. I should change the disk every time I want to choose an operating system.
likewise, thank you

zeroot

#9 Post by zeroot »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The Debian repositories now contain all of the software needed to create and sign a Secure Boot key:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sbsigntool

Guide here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ml#signing
im seeing it,but its a little lot harder that i can do. :(

zeroot

#10 Post by zeroot »

A question for anyone... if i delete the windows 10 of my drive and i try install debian first, "teoretically" this may works?
I want to take advantage of the fact that the system is still without information, since it is new

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Bloom wrote:That is certainly not the norm. If Secure Boot is on with an installed and working Windows 10, turning it off (if at all possible) will cause Windows 10 to stop booting in my experience. Perhaps Dell installed Windows 10 with Secure Boot off on your system?
That was certainly not the case in the three laptops I have owned with UEFI and Secure Boot. I could disable Secure Boot and still dual boot Windows and Linux, no reinstall of Win was required, though sometimes I had to monkey around with more UEFI settings and add the Linux UEFI file to the approved boot choices.

Do you have an option to disable Secure Boot and still keep the UEFI boot instead of legacy?
MX Linux packager and developer

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#12 Post by Bloom »

Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.

Danielsan

#13 Post by Danielsan »

From my experience the issue is that you can't have a dual boot with W10 and secure boot deactivated because every time you try to run W10 it will enable secure boot without your authorization. The rapid solution is to get rid off of W10 for ever, however I would create a copy of your hard drive with clonezilla just in case you have to restore your current condition.

zeroot

#14 Post by zeroot »

Bloom wrote:Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.
Yes, i disabled the Secure Boot, but the installation dont works. What i can do ?

zeroot

#15 Post by zeroot »

Danielsan wrote:From my experience the issue is that you can't have a dual boot with W10 and secure boot deactivated because every time you try to run W10 it will enable secure boot without your authorization. The rapid solution is to get rid off of W10 for ever, however I would create a copy of your hard drive with clonezilla just in case you have to restore your current condition.
The secure boot dont activate every time i run w10. If i clean my disk and delete win10, i should install Debian?

Dai_trying

#16 Post by Dai_trying »

I can only go by my own experience but I simply turned off secure boot mode and then installed Debian, so my suggestion would be disable secure boot and then re-install Debian (your current installation will not work without chrooting into it from a Live-cd or similar to install grub).

As your original installation only failed at the grub installation I would see no other issues.

And I have not had the same experience as some other users of boot order (or any UEFI settings) being changed by Windows updates or anything but I have read of other users having this issue, my guess would be Dells implementation of UEFI is better than some others, YMMV.

Danielsan

#17 Post by Danielsan »

@ Zeroot

I am windows free since a long time so my opinion doesn't count because no one needs Windows... :lol:

Two issues might be hidden in your bios: "secure boot" and "fast boot" you should check if your bios has both and then deactivate them before to install Debian, however since W7 you have to make space before to install any other linux distro so you should free space through W10 tools, if you don't do that you can't install Debian.

I am not a huge fan of dual booting, unless you need absolutely W10 for something like playing video games, my suggest is to clone, with clonezilla, your current W10 because if you need to do any repairing having Linux may cause complaining by your seller, but if you restore W10 it will never know about it. Once your W10 is cloned you can format your drive and you can take your time to install Debian and find your perfect setup.

Good luck!

Dai_trying

#18 Post by Dai_trying »

I have fast boot still enabled on my system but I cannot say if it will cause problems with others, and one of the good things about Win10 (Yes I cannot believe I said that!!!) is that you can easily re-install from the images available directly from the Microsoft website, this would mean unless there is data that you need to keep with a "backup" a re-installation is much less painful than it used to be.
I have re-installed Win10 a couple of times in the last 12-18 months as it can do the usual Microsoft thing of slowing down over time and a fresh install always runs with less "lag" at least for a while, and I only use it less than once a month (on average) and mainly keep it installed for the times when I cannot find a way (easily or quickly enough) to do something through Linux.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#19 Post by Bloom »

zeroot wrote:
Bloom wrote:Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.
Yes, i disabled the Secure Boot, but the installation dont works. What i can do ?
Why doesn't your installation work? What exactly goes wrong?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

Dai_trying wrote:I have fast boot still enabled on my system but I cannot say if it will cause problems...
Fast Boot is a UEFI option to skip some POST steps. It probably will only cause USB device booting to fail. Ultra Fast Boot will prevent you from booting to UEFI setup among other things.
Fast Startup is a Windows option like a hybrid hibernation mode. It will cause more problems with multi boot as any Win partitions will be mounted read-only in Linux after rebooting if you don't disable it.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wi ... t.2481353/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/212 ... ndows.html
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!