Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cant install Debian in a laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Dai_trying

Re: Cant install Debian in a laptop

#16 Post by Dai_trying »

I can only go by my own experience but I simply turned off secure boot mode and then installed Debian, so my suggestion would be disable secure boot and then re-install Debian (your current installation will not work without chrooting into it from a Live-cd or similar to install grub).

As your original installation only failed at the grub installation I would see no other issues.

And I have not had the same experience as some other users of boot order (or any UEFI settings) being changed by Windows updates or anything but I have read of other users having this issue, my guess would be Dells implementation of UEFI is better than some others, YMMV.

Danielsan

#17 Post by Danielsan »

@ Zeroot

I am windows free since a long time so my opinion doesn't count because no one needs Windows... :lol:

Two issues might be hidden in your bios: "secure boot" and "fast boot" you should check if your bios has both and then deactivate them before to install Debian, however since W7 you have to make space before to install any other linux distro so you should free space through W10 tools, if you don't do that you can't install Debian.

I am not a huge fan of dual booting, unless you need absolutely W10 for something like playing video games, my suggest is to clone, with clonezilla, your current W10 because if you need to do any repairing having Linux may cause complaining by your seller, but if you restore W10 it will never know about it. Once your W10 is cloned you can format your drive and you can take your time to install Debian and find your perfect setup.

Good luck!

Dai_trying

#18 Post by Dai_trying »

I have fast boot still enabled on my system but I cannot say if it will cause problems with others, and one of the good things about Win10 (Yes I cannot believe I said that!!!) is that you can easily re-install from the images available directly from the Microsoft website, this would mean unless there is data that you need to keep with a "backup" a re-installation is much less painful than it used to be.
I have re-installed Win10 a couple of times in the last 12-18 months as it can do the usual Microsoft thing of slowing down over time and a fresh install always runs with less "lag" at least for a while, and I only use it less than once a month (on average) and mainly keep it installed for the times when I cannot find a way (easily or quickly enough) to do something through Linux.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#19 Post by Bloom »

zeroot wrote:
Bloom wrote:Yes. You should only disable Secure Boot but keep UEFI. Debian supports UEFI just fine.
Yes, i disabled the Secure Boot, but the installation dont works. What i can do ?
Why doesn't your installation work? What exactly goes wrong?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

Dai_trying wrote:I have fast boot still enabled on my system but I cannot say if it will cause problems...
Fast Boot is a UEFI option to skip some POST steps. It probably will only cause USB device booting to fail. Ultra Fast Boot will prevent you from booting to UEFI setup among other things.
Fast Startup is a Windows option like a hybrid hibernation mode. It will cause more problems with multi boot as any Win partitions will be mounted read-only in Linux after rebooting if you don't disable it.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wi ... t.2481353/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/212 ... ndows.html
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

arzgi

#21 Post by arzgi »

sunrat wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:I have fast boot still enabled on my system but I cannot say if it will cause problems...
Fast Boot is a UEFI option to skip some POST steps. It probably will only cause USB device booting to fail. Ultra Fast Boot will prevent you from booting to UEFI setup among other things.
Fast Startup is a Windows option like a hybrid hibernation mode. It will cause more problems with multi boot as any Win partitions will be mounted read-only in Linux after rebooting if you don't disable it.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wi ... t.2481353/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/212 ... ndows.html
My computers are so old, that they all have only bios, but fast boot has been option as long as I remember. Just like Sunrat said, it will only skip some tests at boot, after that it does nothging.

Danielsan

#22 Post by Danielsan »

Next release of Debian should be fix every issues with Secure boot, take a look at this debconf video:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... SecureBoot

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

Are you installing from a DVD or a USB drive?

If a USB drive, exactly how did you create that? Be specific. Did it have an option to create
an UEFI-boot compatible drive?
MX Linux packager and developer