Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Problems loading non-free firmware during install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fguy

[solved] Problems loading non-free firmware during install

#1 Post by fguy »

Greetings

I am installing Debian 9.5 on a Dell Inspiron laptop with AMD CPU. When the installer tries to Detect network hardware, I get the following error message:

Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media such as a USB stick or floppy
The missing firmware files are rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw
If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue

So I found rtl8106e-1.fw on the net and copied it to a USB stick both in the root of the USB stick and in a folder /rtl_nic

when I click on continue the installer attempts to detect the network hardware but every time it returns me to the error screen described above.

So I am at a loss as to how to continue.

Please advise.

Thanks
Last edited by fguy on 2018-08-15 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

fguy

Re: Problems loading non-free firmware during installation

#3 Post by fguy »

I didn't see any images for laptops.

Can you confirm for me that that I should use the .iso file firmware-9.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso from the following page

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/

cronoik

#4 Post by cronoik »

Debian isn't offering any specific images for laptops. They are offering cd, dvd and netinstall images for different architectures. For a laptop you should choose an amd64 or when your cpu only supports 32 bits an i386 image.
You can use the image you have mentioned. It worked fine for me with a Dell Inspiron 15 5575.
Have a nice day!

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I've meant in general, those non-free images should be used by laptop users, because many laptops require non-free firmware for Wi-Fi, etc. There aren't any laptop-specific images.

fguy

#6 Post by fguy »

thanks for the tips everything is working fine.

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

fguy wrote:thanks for the tips everything is working fine.
That's good. Can you please edit the header of your first post in the thread, and [SOLVED] to front of the header.