Debian 9 fresh installation keeps freezing on and on

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Debian 9 fresh installation keeps freezing on and on

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-02 19:19

Hi all, first post by this side of the multiple river so glad to you meet all old folks, hope to get to know you better and someday, who knows, to be of some kind of help. My name is Ageras.

Today's problem is, as the title said, that my Debian os keeps freezing randomly and refuse to move on. I already did twice the process of erase, partition and installation but the problem still goes on. I'll explain myself with some examples: sometimes I can log in at least, sometimes I can not because it freezes at the login screen. The good times in which I can it freezes whenever I open whatever application: could be konqueror, could be the terminal, could be the file manager, anything brings the operating system to the freezing condition in which I cannot access, no way, to any of the shortcuts command of the keyboard (for istance ctrl alt f2 for the rescue terminal). Could this be related to graphic's drivers? Could this be related to some problem with X, or with the desktop environment (which is KDE this time, but the problem comes up with whatever. I tried gnome, cinnamon, lxde, whatever). Please help. This poor internauth seeks for advices. Thank you all,
At your service,

Ageras
Ageras

Re: Debian 9 fresh installation keeps freezing on and on

Postby Bulkley » 2018-08-02 19:33

Freezes are very often hardware related. From your description it seems as if opening a program is over-loading a defective component. The first thing to do is to boot a live-CD or live-USB and run with it. The live OS will run in memory only. If it works the problem is either software or a hard drive.

These problems can be very difficult to diagnose because they are so random. They cause one to pull out hair and shout obscenities. So, keep notes; you may need them.

What hardware are you using. Which Debian are you using? Which window manager or desk top?

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Bulkley

Postby kedaha » 2018-08-02 19:45

Bulkley wrote:What hardware are you using. Which Debian are you using? Which window manager or desk top?

It'd be helpful if you installed inxi and post what this command shows:
Code: Select all
inxi -F
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
kedaha

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-02 20:01

Bulkley wrote:Freezes are very often hardware related. From your description it seems as if opening a program is over-loading a defective component. The first thing to do is to boot a live-CD or live-USB and run with it. The live OS will run in memory only. If it works the problem is either software or a hard drive.

These problems can be very difficult to diagnose because they are so random. They cause one to pull out hair and shout obscenities. So, keep notes; you may need them.

What hardware are you using. Which Debian are you using? Which window manager or desk top?

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list.

I don't know what could be defective in my hardware set, I was running on archlinux smoothly like yesterday or two days ago. Without any trace of problem (Ok, maybe I met some freezing from time to time there too, but really occasionally, it was almost rare and only when I runned a lot of programs and overcharged the cpu). I haven't a big powerful PC here, it got a i3 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb HD, nvidia geforce 710; I mean, altogether it is not to throw away either.
The os I'm trying to co-op with is Debian 9, stable version, lightdm, kde.
Tomorrow I'll post my sources.list (which I haven't upgraded yet by the way), now I've just given up for today. I'll start the morning with a fresh mighty hope. Thank you guys,

Your forever loyal,

Ageras

Ps. I'm listening to you too Kedaha, tomorrow you'll have your answer.
Ageras

Postby sunrat » 2018-08-02 23:27

When you have a crash, reboot and run Journalctl to see if it shows any useful error messages.
journalctl -b -1 -p3
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-03 15:27

So, here I am with some good news. But first the answers that you asked me:
Sources.list, here it is, i have upgraded the contents in it and added non-free sources and jessie main and non-free:
http://paste.debian.net/1036576. This gives me some problem when I apt update, because apparently some targets are present several, multiple times.
Here it's my inxi -f command: paste.debian.net/1036577

The journalctl shows me some error with a missing firmware, precisely rtlwifi/rt1881aefw.bin, which i already knew about because it popped out during the installation: should be related to wificard, i don't think it's the point for the present issue.
Now the good new is that after i've blacklisted the nouveau driver and installed the package nvidia-driver, reconfigured xorg.conf (located in /etc/x11/) and rebooted, well, i've entered in the system once! But just once sadly, when i rebooted the freezing freakin' problem was the same. Well i suppose we can call it a day.
Thank you guys,
Your sincerely friend,

Ageras
Ageras

Postby debiman » 2018-08-04 03:36

Ageras wrote:Now the good new is that after i've blacklisted the nouveau driver and installed the package nvidia-driver, reconfigured xorg.conf (located in /etc/x11/) and rebooted, well, i've entered in the system once! But just once sadly, when i rebooted the freezing freakin' problem was the same.

so which graphic driver are you using now?
please post the output of
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'

and post it here, no need for pastebin, and make sure the color escape sequences are NOT printed out.

also another test to run:
open a terminal, enter 'top'.
understand what it shows you, and leave that running.
now when the freeze happens, maybe you can see something is eating your resources.
debiman

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-04 06:29

Hi, here's the output. I'm using right now nvidia drivers:
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GK208 [GeForce GT 710]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller

Also, if go with apt update the output says to me that
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:12 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (main/dep11/icons-128x128.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:20
W: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:15 and /etc/apt/sources.list:18
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:14 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:14 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:14 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:14 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
etcetera etcetera

Can't see why honestly.
Have a nice morning, i'm at your service,

your sincere Internauth,

Ageras
Ageras

Postby arzgi » 2018-08-04 07:04

Ageras wrote:
Can't see why honestly.

Ageras

Well your sources.list http://paste.debian.net/1036576 has duplicates.
arzgi

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-04 07:06

arzgi wrote:
Ageras wrote:
Can't see why honestly.

Ageras

Well your sources.list http://paste.debian.net/1036576 has duplicates.

You mean that jessie main and stretch main are the same?
And also jessie main contrib non free and stretch main contrib non free?
Is that it?
Ageras

Postby None1975 » 2018-08-04 12:57

Ageras wrote:You mean that jessie main and stretch main are the same?
And also jessie main contrib non free and stretch main contrib non free?
Is that it?

And why does your repository figure stretch and jessie? What distribution do you use? Debian 8 or Debian 9? Looks like you are running frankendebian.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
Linux User #607425
None1975

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-04 13:27

Don't do you dare, gentlemen. My Debian is perfectly configurated to be the new stable Debian, also named stretch.
The Jessie's addons were an idea of mine, for I believe there's no future without a past. :shock: :roll: :lol: So don't you dare, old folks.
Ageras

Postby arzgi » 2018-08-04 13:42

Ageras wrote:Don't do you dare, gentlemen. My Debian is perfectly configurated to be the new stable Debian, also named stretch.
The Jessie's addons were an idea of mine, for I believe there's no future without a past. :shock: :roll: :lol: So don't you dare, old folks.

If you don't know what is Franken-Debian, it is time to read https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

The idea of mixing relaeses really s...s.
arzgi

Postby Ageras » 2018-08-04 14:00

Well i know what Shelley's writing is enough to begin imagining what a Franken-Debian could be. So don't worry, mine was just a joke and a mistake, I've corrected the sources.list. Also, did you know you can't access the Debian wiki if using a vpn? I've just discovered that. At least, not with mine apparently.
Ageras

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-08-04 14:48

Also, did you know you can't access the Debian wiki if using a vpn? I've just discovered that. At least, not with mine apparently.

All though it would be another topic, yes , except I thought they did change it
so it can be viewed, read only, even if you are using a vpn. But you can not login and edit anything. As far as I know there are no plans to change this.
Any way, the OP asked, so , back to the original topic.
GarryRicketson

Next

Return to Installation