Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian install broke windows 10

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rasmus393

debian install broke windows 10

#1 Post by rasmus393 »

Hey everybody
i tried to install debian as a dualboot where i have both windows 10 and debian 9
but something went wrong and windows is just returning an error saying there was a recent software of hardware change

i can see that the windows install is still there in the filetree and if i do os-proberr it returns:
/dev/sda7:Windows Recovery Environment:Windows:chain
/dev/sdb1:Windows Recovery Environment:Windows1:chain
i want to mention that i think that /dev/sda7/ is the bootable windows 10 that i downloaded in an attempt to try and fix windows

any help would be apreciated i really dont know what to do from here?

@ttila

Re: debian install broke windows 10

#2 Post by @ttila »

Some weeks ago i lost grub (i use testing) and this guide saved my life :mrgreen:. Hope it helps :wink:

rasmus393

#3 Post by rasmus393 »

the download link doesnt seem to work can i just boot into any linux live disk to do the commands ?

Loci.Cantos

#4 Post by Loci.Cantos »

This is the link address @ttila posted: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall

@ttila

#5 Post by @ttila »

rasmus393 wrote:the download link doesnt seem to work can i just boot into any linux live disk to do the commands ?
Just tested and it works, yes you can use any live distro but i suggest rEFInd because it scans your HD to find all installed OS and it can boots them.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

rasmus393 wrote:but something went wrong and windows is just returning an error saying there was a recent software of hardware change
isn't that correct?

unless (*) it's not actually windows, but the bootloader that is issuing the message.
please be precise.

(*) this reminds me of this joke:
A programmer's wife was sending him to the corner store. She told him, "Get a loaf of bread. And if they have eggs, get a dozen."
He returned and put twelve loaves of bread on the table. "Why did you get so much bread?" she asked.
He replied, "They had eggs."
--- so, nerds, before somebody stumbles over the flaws in my argumentation: my use of "unless" was not logical, but rhethorical!