Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian-installer-launcher: no suitable d-i initrd image

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
zephyr1793

Debian-installer-launcher: no suitable d-i initrd image

#1 Post by zephyr1793 »

I have a new Lenovo Yoga 730.

When I try using a live USB stick to install from the GRUB menu, using either Debian Installer or Graphical Debian Installer, I get a black screen and cant see anything.

Google searches have led me to try things like modifying the installer command by pressing e and adding things to the command, but none of them have had any effect.

However, I have been able to log into a live CD session, and get display from that.

So the next thing I tried was to do sudo apt-get install debian-installer-launcher, and this worked. Then I tried running this with sudo debian-installer-launcher --text which fails.

The failure is:

no suitable d-I initrd image found, aborting.
umount: /lib/live/installer: mountpoint not found

can someone help me with this?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian-installer-launcher: no suitable d-i initrd image

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zephyr1793 wrote:I have been able to log into a live CD session
^ I think this means that you must be transferring the ISO image to the USB stick incorrectly.

You don't mention which method you used, which is annoying :mrgreen:
deadbang

zephyr1793

#3 Post by zephyr1793 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zephyr1793 wrote:I have been able to log into a live CD session
^ I think this means that you must be transferring the ISO image to the USB stick incorrectly.

You don't mention which method you used, which is annoying :mrgreen:
Really? Why does this mean the image was transferred incorrectly if it boots properly?

The method I used, by the way, was to get an ISO from the Debian website and use Win32DiskImager.

I also tried CDBurnerXP before that, but the result was the same.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zephyr1793 wrote:Really? Why does this mean the image was transferred incorrectly if it boots properly?
The images should behave identically whether booted from a CD or USB.
Win32DiskImager
Hmmm, that should work, did you try copying the image back to disk and comparing checksums with the original to eliminate faults with the USB stick itself?

And anyway, why not just install from the CD?

For the record, the desktop installer is an option that must be enabled when the ISO image is created and I don't think Debian does this.
deadbang

zephyr1793

#5 Post by zephyr1793 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zephyr1793 wrote:Really? Why does this mean the image was transferred incorrectly if it boots properly?
The images should behave identically whether booted from a CD or USB.
Win32DiskImager
Hmmm, that should work, did you try copying the image back to disk and comparing checksums with the original to eliminate faults with the USB stick itself?

And anyway, why not just install from the CD?

For the record, the desktop installer is an option that must be enabled when the ISO image is created and I don't think Debian does this.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant using the "Live CD" option worked from the GRUB menu. In both cases it was the image on a USB. The option that failed was selecting "Debian Installer" from the GRUB menu, the option that succeeded was going into a Live session. However, when I am IN the live session then debian-installer-launcher fails.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zephyr1793 wrote:when I am IN the live session then debian-installer-launcher fails.
As I said, I don't think the Debian images include that option and installing the .deb in the live system doesn't "activate" it, it is a package that must be selected during the creation of the ISO itself.

I think perhaps your stick is bad, try my test.

EDIT: disabling kernel mode setting might do the trick.
deadbang

zephyr1793

#7 Post by zephyr1793 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zephyr1793 wrote:when I am IN the live session then debian-installer-launcher fails.
As I said, I don't think the Debian images include that option and installing the .deb in the live system doesn't "activate" it, it is a package that must be selected during the creation of the ISO itself.

I think perhaps your stick is bad, try my test.

EDIT: disabling kernel mode setting might do the trick.
The USB stick seems to have accurately copied the ISO image.

I think I'm just going to try installing some other OS, clearly there is something with my hardware that's making the install process more difficult and I'm not knowledgable enough to deal with it. Thanks for your help.