Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Debian 9.5 to USB stick with Internet issue.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
turbulentio

Install Debian 9.5 to USB stick with Internet issue.

#1 Post by turbulentio »

Hi,
Debian installs fine until I need to select a mirror and attempt to connect to the available networks and internet.

1.Two networks require accepting a Terms of Service prior to gaining access. How do I accept the TOS from the Debian 9.5 installer?

2. Another option is a wireless college network that requires a name and password. Again how do I pass what is needed through the Debian installer?

In the automated installation section of the manual it specifies an answer file with a pass phrase and doesn't give examples for accepting a terms of service or a network login id.

I would like to access the internet during the installation process because the infomation for setting up key authentication seems to be in a number of locations and not very clear. The package managers will not access the mirror repositories without the keys being set up. I presuming key setup is performed through the installer if there is internet access during the installation.

Thanks for your time and consideration. :?:

bw123

Re: Install Debian 9.5 to USB stick with Internet issue.

#2 Post by bw123 »

yeah that is going to be tricky to use "captive portal" type network which requires you to sign on with a javascript enabled browser. I'm guessing the other thing you mention is some kind of EAP/PEAP or similar thing, I believe all we have now for wireless is wpa with pw in the installer. I'm often wrong, so maybe some research will benefit you on that. Wireless during install is still possibly a bad idea IMNSHO.

I never use network during install, even though people swear it's the best way. If you use cd/dvd1 You can install a full system including desktop environment without network access. Then sort it all out later when you have a full browser installed, and/or access to the wpasupplicant documentation and configuration for the more complicated wireless stuff.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

turbulentio

#3 Post by turbulentio »

Hi,
Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't found anything that is very clear concerning setting up the repo key authentication. The documentation is in a few places in the manual. I haven't done much with keys. Is there a step by step anywhere that clarifies the process? Particularly the part about how to reverify a release key? I saw the page for key rollover but it seems to be concerned with authenticity for specific connectivity packages.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

turbulentio wrote:Hi,
Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't found anything that is very clear concerning setting up the repo key authentication. The documentation is in a few places in the manual. I haven't done much with keys. Is there a step by step anywhere that clarifies the process? Particularly the part about how to reverify a release key? I saw the page for key rollover but it seems to be concerned with authenticity for specific connectivity packages.
I'm not sure why you are having a problem with repo keys, or how it has anything to do with installation. What problem are you trying to solve?

Why would you need to reverify a key?
Why do you need a step-by step?

There is a nice wiki called "secure apt" this was implemented a few releases ago I belive. Try this https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

turbulentio wrote:1.Two networks require accepting a Terms of Service prior to gaining access. How do I accept the TOS from the Debian 9.5 installer?

2. Another option is a wireless college network that requires a name and password. Again how do I pass what is needed through the Debian installer?
if those are both captive-portal type setups, better just do an offline install and try to fix things later.
making upgrades might not even work through that; i once had that experience.