Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Failing to boot from SDB1

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Failing to boot from SDB1

#16 Post by p.H »

Three things are not to be confused.
- the boot device : device from which GRUB is booted as specified in the grub-install command.
- the GRUB root device : device where GRUB looks for files, as specified in the "root" GRUB environment variable, in GRUB syntax such as root=(hd0,1)
- the Linux root device : device which contains the root filesystem, as specified in the "root" kernel parameter, in Linux syntax such as root=/dev/sdb1 or root=UUID=xxx

Here the problem is in the root kernel parameter, not the root GRUB variable.
To correct it, don't start the GRUB shell (with "c").
At the GRUB menu, select desired menu entry (don't validate it) and press "e" to edit it. Note that any modification done is volatile, nothing is written on disk.
Look for a line starting with the keyword "linux". It should contain "root=/dev/sdb1".
Move the cursor to the line and replace "sdb1" with "sda1". Then press F10 to boot.
The system should start correctly. Then you can open a session, get a root shell and run update-grub to generate a correct /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Check that the new grub.cfg has "root=UUID=xxx" in the "linux" commands instead of "root=/dev/sdb1".

BPR

#17 Post by BPR »

Ha! I bet you didn't expect this from me, but it worked! All fixed now :D
Except I had to press "e" on the splash screen, it opened the Grub screen, I found the "linux" line towards the bottom, replaced hdb1 with hda1, then pressed F10 to reboot- and .. ta-da!

Thank you so much! Thank you for your patience! You're a legend mate!!

One small problem - I went to check the "Install Packages" (Glib?) and it's empty - nothing at all. How do I load them up into the system?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by p.H »

How did you "check the install packages" ? Did you run a Gnome thing (which I know nothing about) ?

I also wanted to warn about installing a standard system (not a live system) on USB thumb drives or SD cards because they do not have the same write endurance as SSDs and hard drives and may wear out fast.

BPR

#19 Post by BPR »

I was referring to Gdebi Package Installer - apparently there's no library for that, the packages must come pre-packaged with some flavours of Linux only.

Yes, I'm aware of the waring out of USB's

Basically, I'm trying to build a simple home theatre system with
Samba
mini-DLNA
VLC or Kodi
* I don't like the LibreElec (Transmission doesn't work on it)

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by p.H »

I don't know anything about Gdebi either, sorry. I manage packages with command line tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ gdebi can also be used from the command line and obviates the need to manually install any dependencies (although apt(8) can now handle .debs in this way itself ofc).

OP: try using it from the command line so we can see the errors:

Code: Select all

# gdebi whatever.deb
This should probably have it's own thread though, I think I can split it if need be.
deadbang